Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Roof / bicycle rack for 997

02jcrane

Hello all,

Just bought my first 911. 2009, PDK, generation 2 as far as I'm aware.

I'll get pics upload over the weekend.

I'm looking for the Porsche part numbers for a roof rack. Specifically a bicycle rack, if that was ever made?

Hi OP too much info maybe :dont know: you can never be too careful :thumb:

mzmini said:
Hi OP too much info maybe :dont know: you can never be too careful :thumb:

Not sure what you mean. Too much info, but also I can't be too careful..?

I think he's suggesting you also include your credit card details in addition to Vin. :floor:

Welcome and congrats, look forward to seeing the pics uploaded.

One of the geeks will be along soon to answer your query. I must say 911's with roof racks look great, almost makes it a versatile vehicle.

02jcrane :welcome: :thumb:

You can use the Porsche Roof Transport System with Thule bike carriers.

Or you can buy my thule system if I am not being too cheeky

Attachments

• img_8377_183.jpg
    img_8377_183.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 9,298
  • img_0134_208.jpg
    img_0134_208.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 9,297
  • img_0166_170.jpg
    img_0166_170.jpg
    909 KB · Views: 9,298
Replied

Be careful buying the standard Thule system as the foot packs need to be different hieghts otherwise the load is not level - look at the pictures which show the difference in foot pack height required to get the bars level

I recently bought my 997 and decided to go down the Thule route.

If you are buying new, contact Exeter Roof Racks as they will gladly swap out the foot packs to give you what is required for a level set of bars.

I think I paid about £190 inc 24hrs delivery for the wing bars, foot pack and fixing kit, all with matched locks.

If you go for the split foot pack, you can't have the edge wing bars, although in reality the standard wing bars actually give you a more practical bar space. There is no reason why you couldn't trim the excess bar from each side and refit the end caps if you wanted to make the wing bar solution look more 'sporty'.

In addition to the bars, I bought a pair of Thule Pro Ride 591 bike carriers from an ebay retailer for about £115 delivered. Again, I fitted matching lock barrels to the roof bars, so I need only one key. These fit using the t-track and I can remove and refit them within seconds.

Lastly, I then bought a Thule Ocean 600 narrow roof box. This comes in gloss black and is a half-width relatively short roof box which works perfectly on the 997 and still allows you to fit both the bike carriers on the roof. These are usually £200 delivered, but I got mine for about £150 (including t-track fittings) by ordering it alongside some aero bars for my wife's Honda CRV (which means that the bike carriers and roof box can be switched between cars in minutes using the t-track fittings).

So all up I'm in at around £450 for the lot which isn't a lot less than Porsche quoted me for just the Roof Transport System bars.

A few pics:-

Thule all the way, the Porkie parts are ugly and more expensive. The boys at Exeter Roof Racks know their onions.

I got the WingBacks, but then I have a Cayman so maybe that is only possible on the Caymans.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=119802

The Thule kit is solid as a rock, I was nervous to introduce my two P&Js to each other, needn't have been.

Thanks Yacht Broker for the pictures of the Thule Ocean 600 - it looks great on top of the 997. As long as I can get my 165cm Fischer skis in there, I'm sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back