Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Solved - Foggy rear lights 997.2

Raptorace

I've had fog build up in my rear LED lights on both sides for a while now. I've heard several people having the same issue and yet very little about how to fix it.

So i've finally managed it and thought i'd post for those with the same issue.

The normal school of thought is to remove the unit, uncover the two little holes (one at either end) by removing the little sticker circle, tip out the water, dry with a hairdryer, then re-seal the holes and indeed the whole unit with clear silicone.

I tried this method (and it takes hours of blow drying as the LED units are sealed up unlike the bulb type) Re-installed back on the car very pleased with myself. BUT, 2 days later both had re-fogged!

I couldn't really see how this could happen, but I guess there must be some very small hairline cracks somewhere which cant be seen but will let cool air in and then condensate.

In the end i've solved it without all the messing about. Simply remove the light unit, then remove the sticky circles covering the little holes, then just replace the unit and forget. After a few days of driving the air flow through the exposed holes (although tiny) is enough to clear the light of fog, and it wont re-fog becasue the tiny holes continue to let out/change the air inside. Its worked great for me and no amount of heavy rain nor jet washing causes any ingress of water at all.

Hope it helps someone.

I keep meaning to sort this out on my car. Thanks for the answer and reminder! Another forum member, Monster also drilled some additional holes to help the airflow. I'll try removing the stickers first!

One of my rears did the same, replaced under warranty, expensive repair when it can be rectified so easily . Seems each part of the lens is an individual piece and water gets in between the joints.

Raptorace said:
I've had fog build up in my rear LED lights on both sides for a while now. I've heard several people having the same issue and yet very little about how to fix it.

So i've finally managed it and thought i'd post for those with the same issue.

The normal school of thought is to remove the unit, uncover the two little holes (one at either end) by removing the little sticker circle, tip out the water, dry with a hairdryer, then re-seal the holes and indeed the whole unit with clear silicone.

I tried this method (and it takes hours of blow drying as the LED units are sealed up unlike the bulb type) Re-installed back on the car very pleased with myself. BUT, 2 days later both had re-fogged!

I couldn't really see how this could happen, but I guess there must be some very small hairline cracks somewhere which cant be seen but will let cool air in and then condensate.

In the end i've solved it without all the messing about. Simply remove the light unit, then remove the sticky circles covering the little holes, then just replace the unit and forget. After a few days of driving the air flow through the exposed holes (although tiny) is enough to clear the light of fog, and it wont re-fog becasue the tiny holes continue to let out/change the air inside. Its worked great for me and no amount of heavy rain nor jet washing causes any ingress of water at all.

Hope it helps someone.
Thanks for posting this - I was like looking at mine today and thinking I must get them cleared - I'll give your trick a try👍

Yes it seems to be an issue as the LEDs dont give off any heat to dry the moisture , I get the same on my dectanes for the gen1 might have to drill a tiny hole . if you get a chance can you post a ic so I can see where the hole is and what size it is. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Phil, I don't have a pic sorry. But you can't miss the circle stickers at each end of the unit.

Raptorace said:
Hi Phil, I don't have a pic sorry. But you can't miss the circle stickers at each end of the unit.

Thanks mate will have a look :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the info.
I had the condensation in mine but it seems to have cleared by itself now :dont know: maybe due to the warmer weather?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back