Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smokin'!

TobesEtc

Mexico City
EDITED: I just compared a before and after photograph...I don't think my oil dipstick is pushed in properly! Maybe that's the issue instead of what I wrote below!

Had a bit of a scare on Saturday, driving home after a bit of a blast around the countryside. Just before I got home, there was a queue of traffic, so after driving at speed for sometime I was stationary and suddenly noticed smoke coming out of the engine bay! For a second I thought I was about to go up in flames.

I was really close to home, so got back and then went to investigate. When I opened the engine cover I didn't recognise the thing, it was spotless! But the smoking had stopped. What I guess must have happened is that last week, when the car had the new rear-wing fitted, the garage must have given the engine bay a quick clean-up and I suspect they got whatever cleaning stuff they'd used on the hot bits, which then smoked off when it was good and warm.

Either that or the cam cover things have warped (again!) and started to drip on the exhaust. It's in to Porsche Torque on Thursday, so I'll ask him to check just in case.

Didn't half give me a fright - sure hope my diagnosis is right! Here's a pic to record that, if only for a brief time, my engine bay is fairly clean!

Attachments

• 20170325_163312_782.jpg
    20170325_163312_782.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 3,044
check your oil cap is seated correctly too :thumb:

Looks tidy enough Tobes :thumb:

Photo of the new spoiler?

Is that Mobil1 sticker the right size :dont know:

Tobesetc said:
Either that or the cam cover things have warped (again!) and started to drip on the exhaust. It's in to Porsche Torque on Thursday, so I'll ask him to check just in case.

Sounds possible - it is alarming when it does it.

Having checked, the dipstick and oil cap are both perfectly seated. No sign of any oil in the bay or any visible drips under the car, but that doesn't rule out the cover thingy, which will be checked Thursday.

Zingari said:
Is that Mobil1 sticker the right size :dont know:

Probably not, but you still aren't getting her for 25 Bags! :hand:

Where are the photos of the new engine lid Tobes?

Mil & Moh, I'll take some pictures on Thursday when it's out and about. I have to admit, I love the look of the new spoiler and skirts with the chin spoiler that it already had! Now tempted by yet more new wheels because obviously I need a third set! (Cup2, Hollow... Speedline?) :bonk:

I changed the lower cam covers for Rennline aluminium ones, some say it's completely unnecessary but no leaks for 2yrs. Having said that it was the uppers that were worse and just replaced the gaskets. (well Kevin did).

Are they actually visible anywhere, because I've seen some of the billeted aluminium ones that pretty cool? But if not visible, then why bother to make them look good?

No they are not visible but if they looked crap they wouldn't sell.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back