Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 996 c4 manual to a 2007 manual cayman s hmmmmm

mobile chicane

I've had my 2003 996 c4 for about 5 years now and I'm looking for a sports car rather than a gt car.

A 2007 cayman s has popped up at a reputable independant near me with all the toys i'm after.

I believe the power is 300 bhp on the cayman s versus 320 on my 996 however the cayman s is (i'm assuming) quite a bit lighter than the 996 so this should be a non issue.

Tax is an extra £200 a year for the cayman, I have yet to talk to my insurers but as I pay £220 a year for the 996 I'm hoping there will be little if no extra to pay.

The cayman I'm looking at has the 19 inch multispoke alloys does anone have the tyre sizes and recomended rubber so I can get a price on these ?

The price to change could be anywhere from £1k to £5k depending on what the dealer values my 996 as for trade in.

So anyone else made the switch ?

Cayman weighs circa 1,350kg and has a smidge under 295bhp according to Porsche. I like to hope/think that's 300 really.

Tyre size is 265 35 19 on the rear and 225 35 19 on the front if memory serves. I have Michelin Super Sports and they are excellent.

Sorry for the late reply but have been away.
I was looking to replace my 996 C4 after it got written off by a Merc.
Couldn't find a nice C4 so tried the Cayman S in the dealership.
For the same budget it was a no brainer.
Full leather upholstery, Bose HiFi, heated seats etc etc.
30k less miles on clock, 5 years younger [less wear and tear!]
50 Kg lighter [0-60 5.8 secs compared to 6.1] making it quicker.
Mid engined, road holding impressive.
OK less Horsepower but I don't need to do the extra 10mph top speed.
I didn't really need 4 seats as i had only used the rear ones 6 times
in 12 years [2nd car has 4 seats]. My other half loves the Cayman
and said I should have one years ago [she loved the 996 but not as much]
So there you have it, I bought the Cayman S.

I've had 3 Boxsters (a 986 3.2S, a 987 3.2S and the latest a 987 Gen 2 3.4S) the second and third both bought after I went 911 shopping (for a 996 and then a Gen 1 997 respectively) pound for pound you get a lot more for your money with the Boxster/Cayman.

I really like the idea of a 911 but the reality.............get your Cayman!

:)

Mr Brown, am I missing something, you have the 0-60 times incorrect for a Cayman S. 60mph is 4.8s is it not?!

The return of Marty Wild said:
Mr Brown, am I missing something, you have the 0-60 times incorrect for a Cayman S. 60mph is 4.8s is it not?!

Blimey you are correct, I was looking at the standard Cayman figures
in the handbook. Whoppee, my car just got faster :grin:

£ per 1/10s of a second, that's the most cost effective modding I have ever seen! :lol:

So, Zanzibar has left for it's new home by the seaside....
I thought i'd have a breather but i'm looking at an orange Cayman S Sport Edition at the end of the week......Sebbatical didn't last all that long :grin:

Having borrowed an 'S' for the weekend, I can't wait to get in one of these.

Loved my 996 C4 but after seven years it was time to move on.
Over the last year I have really 'got' the shape of the Cayman.
The handling is superb and that stance just works for me.
I just hope this one i'm looking at is as good as described.

Sorry again for the thread hijack.....Honest!

So the car I was going to see was withdrawn from sale by the owner :dont know: Such a shame as I had used my contacts to find out everythig about the car.
Howerver, just for Sh#ts and giggles I tried a Gen 2 S with PDK.
'MY' experience was that the interior looks more modern.
The Sports seats really dug into my lats (Wide bloke).
Couldn't quite get my head around the PDK, but I guess that was me. Never knew what gear I was in....
The car felt heavy and the steering a little vague. Infact it felt just like my 996.
CONCLUSION
I must find a Gen 1 manual. It just feels like a real Porsche and it has to be a Sport Edition and I really, really need it in orange!
I appreciate it could grenade at any moment but then so could have my 996.
Oh and I can't stretch to an 'R'
The search continues...... :bye:

Wow, first time I've seen someone saying the Gen1 is the way to go! Happy days :lol:

I was a Gen1 Golf R32 man too!

Just my opinion, however as a daily driver I have no doubt that the Gen2 PDK is the way to go, but my cars are weekend fun only.
Gen1 (worried about impending explosion) but what a drivers car!
Gen2 sophisticated...
My search will continue.....

I passed on your views to a chap at work who is looking to get into a 987.

Keep us up to speed. Running home to wash mine in a minute, can't be seen on the first proper bank holiday looking a bit dusty and unloved.

My previous car was a manual 987.1 Cayman S.

It was a superb car, definitely great value for money and I really enjoyed it, was only sold to gain rear seats.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back