Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1999 cab hood window

Andrew173

Hi guys. my plastic rear window has just split so I'm after a recommendation of who/what and where really. I did just search eBay quickly and Jasmine want £1500 for an aftermarket hood supply and fitted.

My hood isn't too bad though really so I'm wondering if anyone just does the rear window replacement like we used to do in mgfs.

Next question is though... Could I have the plastic one upgraded to a heated glass window? Or is it just not possible.

Any info or recommendations please

Thanks
Andy

Watching with interest. Mine is goosed where it seal at the bottom. I'm just going outside now to have a crack at tarting it up but reckon I'll need a new one :nooo:

When I saw you had replied, I thought yes, Alex has done loads on his - hopefully he's had his rear window done too!!!!

Oh well

So far from searching online I've found a few places. None of them are near to me but it is what it is.

www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk
Bh12 4bq

Softtops.org.uk
Cv2 4pa

It looks like both these guys above will do a straight swap (plastic out, plastic in) which is fine really

Carhood.com
Kt9 2ny. Or these guys can do either type of hood new.

The rear window can be replaced on its own, but I believe you cannot just change it to the later glass window as the later cars have a different frame/mechanism/design to not fold the window, the same case as for a 986 Boxster :dont know:

These people seem to be quite reasonable :
http://www.car-hood.co.uk/

There are also window only replacement people offering their services on Ebay :thumb:

Right then. I've spoken to all companies above. They all sound great and know what they are doing. Having all done plenty of these cars.

The general consensus is that although the plastic rear window can be done on its own - it's not worth the hassle. Basically they are put in so well that changing them on there own means they can't really guarantee against water ingress in the future. This is due to the way they were bonded/stitched from the factory.

And I believe them. It's not just up selling for the sake of it, although i would understand if it was. Fitting a new hood will be far easier and nicer job than doing a window replacement.

They are all coming in at around £1200 supply and fit inc the vat for a new hood with heated glass rear window. Only problem being as the sun came out last week they now all have a 3 week waiting list.!!!

Right then. I've spoken to all companies above. They all sound great and know what they are doing. Having all done plenty of these cars.

The general consensus is that although the plastic rear window can be done on its own - it's not worth the hassle. Basically they are put in so well that changing them on there own means they can't really guarantee against water ingress in the future. This is due to the way they were bonded/stitched from the factory.

And I believe them. It's not just up selling for the sake of it, although i would understand if it was. Fitting a new hood will be far easier and nicer job than doing a window replacement.

They are all coming in at around £1200 supply and fit inc the vat for a new hood with heated glass rear window. Only problem being as the sun came out last week they now all have a 3 week waiting list.!!!

I'll be using K Baggs to do mine when I've finished paying for the latest round of things my Volvo needed - he has done work for friends in the past and he suggested re-trimming the roll-over hoop area in the same fabric, which none of the other places did. Take a look at your car with the roof down - at the age they all are now I bet the roof, flip-panels and roll-over hoop bar are all different colours. They should be the same.

Actually yes. I think it was stcs that mentioned that as well. Due to the age difference and the weathering/sun damage etc. I think for the time being I'll live with the slight colour difference. If any of my mates notice, I'll just poke them in the eye.

Mine got to the point where it was absolutely shot and it went along the bottom of the rear window. In the end I went for a whole new roof as the cost of doing the window properly without it leaking can be just as expensive as the canvas has to come off anyway. In the end I opted for a new canvas roof below are some before and after pics:

The roof mechanism was also overhauled greased and filled with fluid as part of the job. There was a simlar thread on here a few months back and I posted similar here is a link as I am sure only the window was replaced and it was not that expensive a job: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118547

I paid £1050 for the job and they did a great job.

cab hood window

I had mine done in 2013 by Barton and Son Craftsmen and Coachtrimmers in Luton. At the time it was £360 +vat supply and fit.

excellent job done.

The roof mechanism was also overhauled greased and filled with fluid as part of the job. There was a simlar thread on here a few months back and I posted similar here is a link as I am sure only the window was replaced and it was not that expensive a job: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118547

I paid £1050 for the job and they did a great job.[/quote]

Vince, Looks very nice, mind telling us where you had it done?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back