Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing C4 front shock absorbers

Boardsi

My front C4 top mounts are shot and need replacing, it even looks like they are rusted to the shock absorber shaft when viewed from below.

I had read somewhere that you can remove the C2 shocks without undoing the 32mm hub nut but this is not true on the C4?

any help appreciated as I will be doing on the drive....

I removed my C2 shocks from the hub without the need to remove the hub, I just removed what I could to let the hub go as low as possible and I was able to bring the strut out over the top. I'm not sure if this would be possible with a C4 but you wouldn't need to remove the driveshaft if you could? You would still need spring compressors to shorten the length.

I changed my C4 top mounts with spring compressors. No need to remove from the hub.

Just had the front springs changed on my 987 & was advised that in some instances the shock absorber rusts itself onto the top mount bolt. Wasn't prepared to sink further money into have the shocks replaced as well so a few days before the work was started i soaked the top mount bolt / thread with Plusgas after taking a wire brush to the thread. Did this every night for a few days & had no problems.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back