Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clever peoples help needed

budflicker

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all 996 clever people, I wonder if anyone can help with this.

Fitted RSS engine mounts last week and now have vibration through the passenger side of the car at 2100 rpm and only at 2100rpm?

vibrates on the way up and on the way back down the revs as it passes 2100rpm?

Car is going back to the garage next week but i could do with some ideas what it might be.

Other than that the car drives the nuts with the new mounts.

You need to provide more information. Is it a vibrational noise that you're hearing or is it something you feel?

Clearly something is resonating to the engine's vibrations when at 2100 revs. When you find the offending item you can alter when it resonates by making it more or less rigid (screwing it down properly) or by changing its mass (putting sound deadening bitumen on it).

Is it something big/mechanial sounding or is it something small and rattly?

Cant help much only to say I found there is slightly more vibration through the car at idle. The mounts do 'soften' off slightly over a couple of hundred miles imo, not so much as to change the handling improvement but enough to dampen the vibration and extra exhaust noise slightly.

lofi said:
Cant help much only to say I found there is slightly more vibration through the car at idle. The mounts do 'soften' off slightly over a couple of hundred miles imo, not so much as to change the handling improvement but enough to dampen the vibration and extra exhaust noise slightly.

Agree with lofi drive it 300/400 miles then reassess as they do soften up a bit. just check the exhaust isnt just touching the chassis when you get to certain revs as mine did and I needed to adjust a bracket which fixed it. :thumb:

It's a vibration that you can feel and hear right down the passenger side of the cabin.

It's not like a rattley heat shield or something I don't think.

Strange one, I will of course update further once I find out.

Well that's all sorted. Bumper off to see what was going on revealed the support brackets for the cats were loose causing the vibration at 2100rpm. Repaired the bracketsvand refittedvand voila, perfect.

Now very pleased with the results from the RSS upgrade. I also fitted the centre console delete kit as well which looks fantastic and gives me loads more leg room..

budflicker said:
Well that's all sorted. Bumper off to see what was going on revealed the support brackets for the cats were loose causing the vibration at 2100rpm. Repaired the bracketsvand refittedvand voila, perfect.

Now very pleased with the results from the RSS upgrade. I also fitted the centre console delete kit as well which looks fantastic and gives me loads more leg room..

Good to hear mate, great when it ends up as easy fix . those bloody annoying rattles :thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back