Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension questions

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys so my turbo recently hit 98,000 miles and im just wondering if you could help me out with a few questions.

So firstly when i swapped over from my winters to summers i noticed the bump stops at the front look shagged. Should i change them ove sooner rather than later?
Also i dont think the front mounts have ever been changed but from looking at them from the wheel arch they look mostly ok (im thinking of changing them and bump stops at the same time).
Lastly how do you know when droplinks need changing, ive noticed a bit of a creak from the front end when going over rough tarmac.

Cheers

Chris

Consider booking the car in at Center Gravity for a geometry check. This includes a full assessment of steering, suspension and brakes and will highlight anything requiring attention.

Book or make an enquiry via their website for speediest response.

Search for them on this forum. Highly recommended and yes, I have used them for my turbo.

I have used him before with my carrera but it's just too far, around 4 hours each way and last time I had to leave my car there and pick it up on the Sunday. I'm afraid I can't spare the time on a weekend. I just wondered if there were any obvious culprits just from noise. I'm not fobbing you off by the way, I only have sat and sun and my kids are very demanding :p .

Book it in at an indy and ask them to go through all the bits and report back? And take their courtesy car so you are still mobile.

Alternatively, if indy labour rates are the same as OPC for this age of car (OPC is £75+VAT) and as parts if required will probably be OPC supplied to an indy, then consider booking it in at OPC and get a Porsche courtesy car?

With this sort of mileage and not knowing who has done what refresh, it probably needs a systematic thorough check-over to identify what is worn, how much and what needs replacing.

Attempting it all yourself may be a hit-or-miss affair and as you say you don't have time?

Drop links usually make a knocking sound if they are worn but as they are easy to remove on one end you can feel if they are worn. There should be some resistance in the ball if not worn, if it's loose it is worn. The creaking could be any part of the suspension that is dry or worn.

Having chased every new emergent knock and rattle one at a time on my 128k mile carrera, I would be tempted to just do the lot in one go at 100k miles, as they WILL emerge one by one over the next 20k.

I now have all new (in the last 20k) arms, and am thinking I maybe should have done the shocks too.

As many bits from oe manufacturers like TRW and sachs as possible:
Droplinks (TRW)
Inner track rods x2 (TRW)
outer track rods x2 (TRW)
top mounts x4 (SACHS)
coffin arms x4 (Hartech recon or Meyle)
forked arms x4 (hartech recon or meyle)
rear track arms x2 (TRW or hartech recon)
rear dogbone arms x4 (hartech recon)

Probably 4x eccentric bolts from Porsche for the rear coffin and track arms as they will be seized.

I've done all this apart from I sourced low mileage 997 dogbones and got more TRW arms when they were available (they no longer sell coffin arms etc aftermarket).

Shocks from Bilstein and possible springs whilst we are at it.

Get a local mechanic to swap everything and then a laser place to do the alignment, watch them like a hawk and check the output.

You should be rewarded with a car that drives like new for the next 50k miles at least.

If you want to go mad then new engine mounts and new gear box mount (or polybush insert can be fitted without dropping the box) will make a difference too.

Fortunately the coffin arms were already done a couple of years before I bought the car, I've had the outer track rod ends done although in hindsight I wish I'd had the inner done too. Do the rear top mounts actually wear? I think there's a bearing on the front struts that wears out.

The thing that printed the question was the fact my car feels different, bit ive only just thought about and realised its probably to do with putting the summers back on and getting Alot more feedback.

The bump stops won't make any difference to the ride (only when bottoming out!) but get new ones if you have it apart.

The top mounts can be checked if you buzz the top nuts off you will see if the rubber has separated or cracked. You could also crouch in the trunk with your finger on the top nut and bounce around, you might feel the knock and look a bit crazy.

There is a ball bearing under the top mounts for the spring to rotate on, worth changing at the same time I suppose (mine were dry and full of crap).

I think people are using 997 front top mounts on 4wd 996 as they are cheaper for some reason.

2wd 996 can get OE Sachs top mounts much cheaper than from porsche.

My rear top mounts at 120k looked fine, but if i was getting new shocks and springs I would change em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back