Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Some worrying news...

PGR

The car went into RPM Technik on Saturday to have a baffled sump, GT3 gearshift and LTT fitted. They drain the oil and find gold swarf in the filter housing :( They're saying it could be the IMS housing starting to break up, so they're going to remove the gearbox and check the bearing. I just hope it's not the main bearings :( It had a new IMS bearing, RMS and Clutch fitted around 8k miles ago. The car has only done 56k miles. Fingers crossed!:sad:

Attachments

• oil_filter_housing_199.jpg
    oil_filter_housing_199.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 7,952
Worrying news indeed.

Though isn't it the whole point of a filter, to filter things?

Given the mileage, I would be surprised if there had been any significant bearing wear.

I was wondering if that could be pickup from the original failure , anyway fingers crossed.

Robertb said:
Given the mileage, I would be surprised if there had been any significant bearing wear.

Yes, that was my initial thought too. At 100k plus miles, maybe, but 56k? Hopefully not!

edge said:
I was wondering if that could be pickup from the original failure , anyway fingers crossed.

As far as i'm aware, there was no original failure. The IMS bearing replacement was preventative.....supposedly.

That's alot of material!

Out of interest what make bearing was fitted and was there a debris issue before?

Fingers crossed for you

Harv said:
That's alot of material!

Out of interest what make bearing was fitted and was there a debris issue before?

Fingers crossed for you

Thanks Harv.

I don't know the make of the bearing, I need to find out from Precision. No knowledge of any debris issue, I've only had the car for 2 months!

Very interested in the findings.

Good luck. I feel for you guys that have done the right thing, then have issues.

Porsche News said:
I hope the bearing has some kid of warranty itself.
If it does its unlikely to extend to rectification works carried out as a result of failure. You may get a new IMS bearing kit, but upon extremely premature failure you'd struggle to justify fitting it.

Hi PGR, dont like the look of this one. This debri looks to me the material used when the crank bearings have worn out, as for the IMS there is no such material there. Is the engine noisey etc. What was the failure before, was a new oil cooler used/fitted etc. More info please. :dont know:

PGR said:
Harv said:
That's alot of material!

Fingers crossed for you

Thanks Harv.

I don't know the make of the bearing, I need to find out from Precision. No knowledge of any debris issue, I've only had the car for 2 months!

What 2 months from dealer purchase?

Precision offer the LN Engineering upgrade bearing. Given how much information there is out there about how they can fail prematurely, I have no idea why they still offer it.

The consensus seems to be just to take the outer seal off when doing a clutch change, and leave the original bearing as it is, unless there is obviously something wrong with it and you have no other option.

nant said:
Hi PGR, dont like the look of this one. This debri looks to me the material used when the crank bearings have worn out, as for the IMS there is no such material there. Is the engine noisey etc. What was the failure before, was a new oil cooler used/fitted etc. More info please. :dont know:

Ok. They've said that the IMS housing needs replacing, and also the RMS. The IMS bearing itself is fine. They can't be sure if the debris is legacy of the original IMS bearing (it was replaced at 46k miles in 2012, but I don't know why, i assume it was on the way out) or if it's crank bearings. They're going to fit a new IMS housing and RMS then flush the engine through. The plan is to then put 500-1000 miles on the car, then take it back for them to inspect the oil and see what's what.

I drove the car down there on Saturday and all was well, no strange/nasty noises, oil pressure good etc.

I'm going to get the engine over-rev and engine hours data. I hope the hours tally up with the mileage...

I bought the car privately in January.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back