Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I think my engine has died

Shane911

I would really appreciate help please, 20 mins ago I just started my pride and joy and as soon as it started their was more vibration in the car and it sounded like it was running on 5 cylinders I drove for 500 yards or so and my engine light came on I turned around to come home, I've just opened oil cap their is a yellowish goo in their and more worrying water, I know very little about engines but I'm guessing head gasket has blown, it would be a real sickner I only bought the car because of its superb condition, their are 3 indipendents quite close to me do I drive it to one of them ot have it taken their on the back of a truck, if it is a serious rebuild I would unfortunately sell it as it is, am I jumping the gun or are all the symptoms I've mentioned very serious as I describe, I'm guessing without it being stripped down it's impossible to tell?

Whoah - slow down!

The yellowish goo under the oil cap is perfectly normal (at this time of year). When you say water in the oil cap, what do you mean - a few droplets on your cap on the inside - also perfectly normal.

If I was to have a guess, you've got a faulty coil pack (which should cause the engine light to come on) caused by all this rain and damp weather. Easy and cheap fix.

I hope your right Alex, the water is in the funnel if you will, I must admit here in Lancashire it hasn't stopped raining since Thursday.

Shane911 said:
I hope your right Alex, the water is in the funnel if you will, I must admit here in Lancashire it hasn't stopped raining since Thursday.

I know, I'm near Blackburn. Even my unit at work has been leaking in.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with your car apart from a faulty coil pack. I'd be very shocked if I'm wrong. Head gasket won't throw up a fault code. Do you not have a cheap code reader you can just plug in - that will tell you the fault.

Shane911 said:
The yellowish goo is also in the funnel

Perfectly normal!

Head gasket would be puffing steam out your exhaust and also your water level would be low in your expansion tank.

Thanks again Alex I'm due some good luck I'm in Altham we are going to need an Ark next it's that wet.

Shane911 said:
I'm in Altham we are going to need an Ark next it's that wet.

Near Swimonstone? :grin:

I bet a 15 minute drive up to Hapton and back would possibly cure the problem.

I'm in Langho if you want to borrow my code reader.

PM sent. :thumb:

A big thanx to Alex unfortunately my car won't start now so the offer of bringing my car to you isn't possible I've just rang the RAC and their on their way. Fingers crossed it's not serious

Keep us posted mate. Was good chatting :thumb:

OP I would have a tenner on a coil pack as Alex has said ,mine did the same as yours it will be simple by the sound of it sleep well :thumb:

Brilliant news first of all a very genuine thanks to Alex and all over comments. The RAC turned up and I explained the symptoms he plugged he's portable battery on mine and nothing no turn over at all, when he took oil cap of he said it looks like your head gasket has gone their was a creamy residue in the pipe and a little water, so he did a test were he put 10psi of pressure through the water bottle and waited it lost no pressure then he dipped a small suction bottle in the water and said it it turns green theirs fuel in your water system, so he went back to he's laptop and told me for the last few years certain scenarios are stored on their system for certain car faults, he told me my Earth terminal or earth strap may be dirty or faulty he could not find it at first and could quite easily have given up but he managed to find it under the car near the right hand side rear wheel he could not get th Bolt of but in moving it back and forth he then started the car happy days, he said I need to take the car to any local garage and have it cleaned properly and explained why 1st of all my car ran very rough and then wouldn't start at all. When he looked again at the oil cap long pipe he explained why so much moisture could build up and frighten you to death thinking head gasket. The moral to this story is I jumped to the worst scenario straight away without engaging my brain thanks again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back