Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox Mounts -------------

-- 997 --

Hi all, am looking to change my gearbox mounts, has anyone done this and is it easy to do??

Cheers

J

J, Sorry mate its always me that replies but it does look like your going down a similar route to me with your car.
I used function first transmission mount inserts to take up the sag from the original rubber bushing. I used the yellow one as they said the black would be too hard for the road. if you want it as original as poss and not hardened up then go with the orange. they take about a week to arrive and I think its something like $35 shipping .
Dont use the cheapy ones that are selling over here, a few months ago a few tried them and it got really bad reviews and most took them off. another example of Chinese junk they are making something that looks the same but they dont put in the technical time to understand how or why.I see it all the time eventually we will realise this in the UK and stop buying nasty Chinese goods.

Is your car a tip or man.

I have had the function first ones fitted for about a year and happy with them

Attachments

• img_0480_211.jpg
    img_0480_211.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4,256
  • img_0482_231.jpg
    img_0482_231.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4,256
  • img_0481_202.jpg
    img_0481_202.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4,256
excuse me mr phil997
i have been buying chinese takeaways for years now and never had an issue?

seeforez said:
excuse me mr phil997
i have been buying chinese takeaways for years now and never had an issue?

:floor: :floor: :floor: well thats because they only last 15 mins and dont you find a couple of hours later your hungry again , so not even their food does the proper job , it looks like a meal but doesnt last like a meal :floor: :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
J, Sorry mate its always me that replies but it does look like your going down a similar route to me with your car.
I used function first transmission mount inserts to take up the sag from the original rubber bushing. I used the yellow one as they said the black would be too hard for the road. if you want it as original as poss and not hardened up then go with the orange. they take about a week to arrive and I think its something like $35 shipping .
Dont use the cheapy ones that are selling over here, a few months ago a few tried them and it got really bad reviews and most took them off. another example of Chinese junk they are making something that looks the same but they dont put in the technical time to understand how or why.I see it all the time eventually we will realise this in the UK and stop buying nasty Chinese goods.

Is your car a tip or man.

I have had the function first ones fitted for about a year and happy with them

Hi phil, thanks always for your replies back and always anyome else on forum, knowledge is power and we are always still learning :)

Ok i was planning to getbthe Rennline semi mounts as in the link below etc..

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt376...orsche/997-MKI--911--2005--08/Gearbox-Mounts/

my gearbox is Manual...

Cheers

J

Yes I have the rennline adjustable semi solid engine mounts and also used the yellow on yellow bushing which is supposed to be very close to the RSS mounts feel , carrara monkey went with yellow over blue bushing on his and also seems happy.but deffo a good idea to do the transmission mount insert at the same time as the engine is supported in those three places so why do 2 and leave the 3rd . You will find the characteristics of the car change it feels more mechanical and gt3 ish without ruining it as a daily drive. but it sits low and flat at speed into bends improves it as a fun driver car. if your ever down Bournemouth way your welcome to have a spin in mine to see it you like it before you buy the bits. :thumb: :thumb:

oops sorry mate miss read ,your talking the rennline transmission bushings , sorry dont have any experience with those and dont know anyone that's fitted them. I am not sure that made of metal wouldnt give the car a vibration through the transmission , the FF ones are made of a nylon /plastic material.

the rennline I was talking about is the adjustable engine mounts.

Phil 997 said:
oops sorry mate miss read ,your talking the rennline transmission bushings , sorry dont have any experience with those and dont know anyone that's fitted them. I am not sure that made of metal wouldnt give the car a vibration through the transmission , the FF ones are made of a nylon /plastic material.

Hahahaaa, i have the RSS engine mounts waiting to go in when i get the exhaust done so might aswell the the gearbox mounts.. i was just thinking is it a bi@#h to do, like would i need a neumatic push press to get the gearbox mounts out etc..

J

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hahahaaa, i have the RSS engine mounts waiting to go in when i get the exhaust done so might aswell the the gearbox mounts.. i was just thinking is it a bi@#h to do, like would i need a neumatic push press to get the gearbox mounts out etc..

J

I have a feeling its a bit more of a job on the manual cars than the tips but the best person to tell you would be to PM, Demort as hes actually a porsche tech :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

J

I have a feeling its a bit more of a job on the manual cars than the tips but the best person to tell you would be to PM, Demort as hes actually a porsche tech :thumb:

Excellent phil, thanks for your input :D ill pm Demort and gey some info if i can!!

Cheers

J

Demort said:
If its a manual then the link here will give you an idear ..

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...-TRANS-Replacing_Your_Transmission_Mounts.htm

There is a tool available that works with the box in situe ..

Part # 10 4886 090

Not a job ive had to do so far which is a little strange as people here often comment on it .. guess no one in my area reads here :D

Hi demort, these engine mounts, am i right that they are fitted on to a carrier that bolts to the gearbox then chassis as in the picture below and as shown in pictures that phil 997 posted?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• 1009296d1452384011_diy_transmission_mount_replace_0109161232_995.jpg
    1009296d1452384011_diy_transmission_mount_replace_0109161232_995.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 4,034
Well Phils car is a tiptronic so that is correct for his , i thought you had a manual ?

If so then its in the gearbox on a standard 997 C2 .. turbo / GT3 are different i think but i would need to have a look to be sure .. this is one of those things that i look at the car and do the job and not something ive memorised :oops:

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2800&MAK=3&MDL=26&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Demort said:
Well Phils car is a tiptronic so that is correct for his , i thought you had a manual ?

If so then its in the gearbox on a standard 997 C2 .. turbo / GT3 are different i think but i would need to have a look to be sure .. this is one of those things that i look at the car and do the job and not something ive memorised :oops:

http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=3&diagramID=3421

Hi Demort, my car is a manual 2005 model, gen 1, so for a manual its one mount? If so the guy must have given me X2 mounts for a tiptronic then ??

Cheers

J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back