Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation in Sports Chrono dial...

tim993

Zandvoort
I've noticed a couple of times a five pence size circle of condensation at the centre of the dial. It does clear, but it's annoying. I've got the car at the OPC having a few little cosmetic things sorted out; however unless they can see it themselves or I can provide a photo (kicking myself that I didn't take one...) they won't sort it based on my word alone! Whilst I sort of understand their perspective I'm a little surprised as I have nothing to gain by this - why would I say it if it was not the case? It just means the car will be going back again at some point when it randomly happens again which is an irritation and costs me fuel, I suppose.

Anyhow, has anyone else seen a similar thing happen?

Ive got to admit that this is a new one on me , ive never seen it before and i cant for the life of me think how moisture would get in there .

Reguards the warrenty and its not the OPC,s fault .. if they dont provide evidence of a fault then Porsche will just reject the claim and the dealership will end up paying for your repair .. seen it happen many times im afraid .. Porsche dont like paying for warrenty .

Oh and on the off chance that Porsche read this , they do keep an eye on the forums you know .. then ..

Val , Battery Chargers , Photos .. Pcm,s which get returned n.f.f .. not finding some old well hidden technical bulitin .. i could go on and on but starting to rant .. feel free to contact me !

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Heater matrix issue?

I don't like the sound of that. How would that cause the problem? The car is only 18m old 😬.... fingers crossed it's only a duff seal on the clock face.

Well .. you would have to have a pin prick leak in the heater matrix , the steam would work its way into the clock as thats directly above the heater assembly .

Things do fail , that is a logical conclusion and worth asking the question to the OPC .. How have i got moisture in my chrono ? .

Nothing ive ever seen or herd of before .. dont mean it cant happen though .

The clock on my car steamed up and Porsche UK were very funny about replacing both that and the heater matrix. Eventually they 'contributed' to the cost but I believe that mine was the last one to have the clock changed under warranty. 'It's perfectly normal Sir' is now, I believe, what is mentioned if somebody makes a claim.
All the above happened/was carried out by the previous owner of my car.
Incidentally, the clock does still steam up a little :roll:

Ambient moist air will condense on the cold glass lens overnight (the unit is not air tight)

That's just physics.

If you can't see a reason for this from washing the car and putting away in the garage, then (changeable) weather over the period is probably to blame.

It will stop happening (this year) from 1st May ...

(alternatively, remove the carbuncle, heat in a 60 degree oven for 20 mins and then either shrink wrap the unit or silicone all the seams)

PS - it's far more likely passengers have entered the vehicle with wet hair/clothes/shoes, the window was left open a smidge or the vehicle drains are blocked than the heater matrix has died.

Drains should be rodded periodically anyway, but if this keeps happening, I'd defo check the under carpets for damp.

Thanks GT4 and others :thumbs:

I think it did coincide with a dramatic change in the weather. I get the physics of it - I'm just surprised it's not a sealed unit, given the risk of condensation :dont know:

I go to great pains to avoid crud getting on the car and it is rarely (5 nights in 18 months) parked outside so I think the drain holes should be clear but I will keep this in mind in the coming years.

Thanks again

tim

Incidentally, where are the drain holes on a 981? :thumb:

You gentleman. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back