Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem Oil Pump

Stever845

Monza
Anyone got the link to buy a New tandem oil pump cheaper than everywhere else LOL.
I was going to re use mine but having had to completely strip it to clean it after drilling and inserting a helicoil I'm not feeling good about re-using. To be honest its pretty simple piece of kit and is now immaculate and easy to reassemble I would re loctite the 4 screws which are on the engine side of the pump.
Any thoughts

Attachments

• img_0499_145.jpg
    img_0499_145.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 4,752
This is the best prices we have found , Even though it does not show as correct for the 997.1 it is the right part and when I asked them using their chat they confirmed it was , It is now fitted and working on my car and a few other members 997.1s

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/pierburg/7890260

+1 my 997 also :thumb:

Ive never done this replacement as we have to just change the pump but i would have thought theres an O ring thats seals it at the base , the screws are just to hold it in place .

As long as the O ring is good then i would say reuse it , pumps aint the cheapest thing out there and after you have gone to so much trouble repairing it then it would be a shame not to use it .

Heres a pic of the inner cover removed, my concern is because I've removed the screws will they be ok re used with loctite as they are engine side .
I have new o rings for both the new cover and the engine side

Attachments

• img_0500_309.jpg
    img_0500_309.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 4,720
Heres a pic of the outer cover removed for anyone thats interested .

Attachments

• img_0508_377.jpg
    img_0508_377.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 4,703
Stever845 said:
Anyone got the link to buy a New tandem oil pump cheaper than everywhere else LOL.
I was going to re use mine but having had to completely strip it to clean it after drilling and inserting a helicoil I'm not feeling good about re-using. To be honest its pretty simple piece of kit and is now immaculate and easy to reassemble I would re loctite the 4 screws which are on the engine side of the pump.
Any thoughts

Got mine from here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/vacuum-pump-12550/porsche/911/911-997

Whats the cover on your old one like?

I just got an extra 5% off when chatting t them online.

Code was GDV4725 will hopefully work for others!

DucatiRob said:
I just got an extra 5% off when chatting t them online.

Code was GDV4725 will hopefully work for others!

yes they are quite good at giving an extra 5% if you say something like " any discount for car clubs" etc.

Ive decided to re use the original one no reason not too now ive cleaned it inside and out ,new ACP cover on. I'm just waiting for a new o ring. If i do decide to get a new one i'll use autodoc you just can't beat their price .
Thanks for all the input I'll keep updates coming as i get things sorted :thumb:

Just a quick question, how would you know if you need a tandem pump, what would the charecteristics of the car be like if the pump failed??

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Just a quick question, how would you know if you need a tandem pump, what would the charecteristics of the car be like if the pump failed??

Cheers

J

J the tandem pump is located close to the heat shields and as they are made of steel they rust really badly due to the location and rear mounting of the engine so if you look under your car you will see the rusty cover now it might be just rusty in which case paint it with hamerite to give it a bit more life or it you have OCD then get the stainless steel over cover for £185 on ebay and fit it over the steel pump cover to protect it. if its got misting or oil around it them its on its was out . its connected to the brake servo so you dont want to leave it too long before doing it. the options are replace with the new one from auto doc or get the aluminium replacement cover from ACP these are new and havent had lots of time in situ so there is no data on how well they will do the job over time. hope that helps mate :thumb:

PS theres often a tapping coming from the pump if its on its way out

I think it also scavenges the sump, so there could be an oil starvation problem if it broke, but the main problem is the corrosion of the cover which as has been said is involved with generating vacuum.

You will get oil leaks if the pump cover rusts through , if it really lets go then a pretty bad oil leak .

If the pipe from it corrodes through then your brakes will be the same as if the engine wasnt running .. awfull .

The reality though is you get damp spots on the rusted cover as the oil starts to seep through .. thats the usual anyways .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back