Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stolen recovered

haggis catcher

Hi all
I busy looking to buy a 996 right now.
I found one that seemed to tick all the boxes. However I found out that it was stolen recovered back in 2001.
The question I would like to ask is that would that put any of you off from buying the car?
The next question is would it effect the value on its sale?

Many thanks

Stew

It would not necessarily put me off, but it would need to be reflected in its value.

Any history like that will always make a car harder to sell on if its recorded.

Also, being carefully stolen to order is different to stolen to rag around in and trashed.

maldren said:
Was there an Insurance payout and if so, is it marked Cat D?
It's not cat C or D. I only found this out when I went to do a check on the car on line. However the car could not be found on the system. So I decided to call the company up who checks them and they advised that registration number had just been changed and that's why I could not get the check done. He went through the details on the phone and said everything is good however it's showing as stolen recovered when the car was six months old. He said it may have been damaged, but may have just been recovered. If the car was damaged it would, do not have been shown on the system unless it was written off by the Insurance company. So the would have been around 60K when new, but if the car had a claim for 25K it would have been repaired. So this would not show on the system.
I'm just put off the car a little, even though it's very nice with full history etc.

So the more feedback the better from you guys would very much be appreciated.

Stolen / recovered when virtually new 15 years ago is a completely different prospect to one that was stolen 6 months ago. If any damage had been done to it back then & the repair was poor, it would have shown up by now. A decent inspection (NOT an OPC 111 point check which is next to worthless as a reassurance of a 'good un') will find any poor repairs, no matter when they were done.

If everything else about the car ticks your boxes I wouldn't worry at all what happened 15 years ago. How many cars are out there that had complete sides replaced when they were nearly new? More than most people think & they won't be recorded at all!

Agreed loads of "nearly" new cars get repaired by Insurance companies (and under insured drivers), not recorded.

It has zero bearing on the cars condition now.

However no matter how unreasonable it seems this car has a black mark against it, and future buyers will be put off.

I would want it to be priced less than usual for this reason.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back