Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It never rains, but it pours...

Drybeer

Trainee
So. After fairly major work in January with engine out, gearbox off, IMS bearing and RMS replaced, new clutch, that expensive brake line which sits above the gearbox, I thought I was looking rosey!

Then, yesterday the heathen thing dumped all its coolant all over my garage floor. Slightly annoying.

Thankfully I noticed it as I reversed out as opposed to going any distance at all!

The leak must be somewhere in the radiator feed pipes fore of the gearbox but just aft of the driver's door.

So. Next is getting the machine on a trailer to Porsche Glasgow for a report on what needs replaced this month to do essentially a 200 miles 'round trip to the Porsche dealer and back, as opposed to any actual pleasure miles.

Deep breath, count to ten. Meant to be taking it to Nurburgring and back in May. Do I chance it?

Unlucky young man :sad:

These Porsche things bring us so much pleasure, yet so much pain at times :grin:

Drybeer said:
Deep breath, count to ten. Meant to be taking it to Nurburgring and back in May. Do I chance it?

Some great OPCs in the area :bandit:

kurlykris said:
These Porsche things bring us so much pleasure, yet so much pain at times :grin:

Like women, but more pleasure, less pain :grin:

Take it but get rac euro cover.

Funny thing is, mine actually dumped all
It's cool and 100 yards from Adenau!

Used a pals car for the weekend and went back home as planed.

Raeder motorsport fixed the car and RAC kindly flew me back out and paid for the whole trip, hotel, flight, taxis, return crossing.

The best thing was I managed to squeeze a track day in with DN15 at the same time!

Happy days!

Scho said:

Raeder motorsport fixed the car and RAC kindly flew me back out and paid for the whole trip, hotel, flight, taxis, return crossing.

The best thing was I managed to squeeze a track day in with DN15 at the same time!

Happy days!

Result. That does appear to be the way to go.

Anyone had all their coolant pipes replaced from engine - rads? What was the damage?

Scho said:

Happy days!

Which level of cover was that? Comprehensive?

I've just had a look for the dinslaken trip in the turbo and its quoting me £150-£259 from the standard to most comprehensive cover. Seems pricey, but cheap if something goes wrong!

Some things are sent to try us ...

Hope you get it sorted ..

All the best.

alex yates said:
kurlykris said:

Like women, but more pleasure, less pain :grin:

Tits or a steering while...?? Either way it will cost ya... :D

Osh

Man that sounds like a nightmare. Still all worth it once done.

Found a nice little green coloured puddle under my driver's side rad today too. The expansion tank in the back still has fluid so imagine it's a small leak starting. Just had the front bumper off to inspect and it's in bad shape. I fitted a new radiator to the passenger side last year and seems I'll be doing this one next weekend. Pray for dry weather. The job previously took all day. But now i have all the right tools and a little experience I'm hoping around 4 hours to swap them over.

When its on a ramp then the garage will be able to remove the undertrays and see which ones need replacing ..

A total coolant pipe replacement would be pretty expensive and imho not needed , just replace the ones that need it .

When you say all the coolant how much do you actually mean? A pint or more?
I did my front rad and a few other things and I found that once you start disturbing the joints they start to weep fluid.
As Iain says once you get the trays off you can see which one is causing the problem.
For a quick fix I removed all the N/S pipes, flow and return from the front rad. Found that there is a lot of residue on the alloy male side of the fitting, so removed the 'o' ring, cleaned with a med wire brush to get all the plaque type stuff off. Fitted a new 'o' ring (god bless Lidl, o ring kit for a tenner) put a bit of waxoyl around the male end then clipped it back in and so far I've been leak free.
Renewing the whole pipe is probably what OPC will do but I checked mine for terminal corrosion and they were actually in good shape once they were cleaned, pipes are not cheap and there's a lot of them!
I know the drivers side probably needs doing but I'm a great believer in, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I had rac euro cover last year. Didn't need it after 3500 miles thankfully. However. The rac small print says they can take 3 weeks to recover your car and you have no guarantee where or how the car is stored in that period.

What cover did you have Scho?

EDIT: Isn't a coolant leak the last of the big worries with a 996? Surely 100000 trouble free miles from now on OP! 8)

Hi all. Thanks for advice. This is one of my busiest months of the year at work (motor trade) so I won't have time to take it to bits myself. I'm awaiting a car transportation chap we use taking it to Porsche Glasgow to investigate. I'd rather get them to let me know what needs replaced and do it.

As for quantity of liquid - it was certainly more than a few pints. It was not weeping but dripping copiously until level subsided. So - given the problems overheating could mean for my otherwise perfectly healthy X51 C4s I'll just await the report on the system.

Agree ref RAC being the last resort while abroad - but I've taken out their package in case needed in May. I'd rather spend the right money on the right bits early than have a problem I could have avoided later.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back