Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stainless steel wheel bolts

Gollom122

Suzuka
My wheel bolts are looking a bit tired. Anyone know of better quality steel ones that wont rust?

Easy enough to clean and paint , i do it evey Major service :D

Personnely i dont like the stainless ones , just something about the thread .. how they grip etc but thats from a mechanics point of view to be honest .

The Porsche ones are now black and seem to last a lot longer than the silver ones .. different torque setting though if you go down that route .

Just out of interest what is the torque setting for the std wheel bolts, in ft/lbs if possible, thanks.

Demort said:
Standard silver bolts are 100 ft/lbs .. 130 nm .

Black and i think its 112 ft/lbs .. need to look to be 100% ..
bit of a thread hijack, i have the new black bolts on my 997 GT3. I've been told these are the wrong bolts and that I should have longer ones which are coloured red. Anyone know if this is true

If you have wheel spacers then you use the red cap bolts as they are longer , im not sure on standard GT3 bolts though , i would think they are standard length but im unsure , sorry .

Hi Dermot

What do you clean and paint them with out of interest

I remember the Nm figures of 130 and then 160 for the black ones.

Its just a personnel thing that i dont like stainless , im not aware theres anything wrong with them .. just doesn,t feel right to me when r&r them .

The old rusty bolts then at work i use a wire wheel to sand them down , put them in a box so only the heads are showing then spray with primer and then the colour of your choice .. silver being the norm :)

Demort said:
Easy enough to clean and paint , i do it evey Major service :D

That's attention to detail- most impressive!

I'm going to give mine a go as you describe.

As per demort - my 997 was in for a major service recently with Unuiqe Porsche near Bolton. Car came back to me having had its wheel bolts wire-wheel'd and painted and also the rear PU securing screws (normally hidden by the engine cover) had received a coat of satin black.

Its something indys usually do as part of a major service , we also paint the drake disc hubs , remove the rear discs to check and clean the handbrake shoes and also remove undertrays to check pipes and then waxoil them .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back