Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

key problem

queenmonkey

Trainee
Hi guys im hoping for some advice on a key problem i have. I brought my '98 996 less than a year ago. Two keys - neither of them worked the remote locking system. I took one into my local Porsche dealers and had a new key head. It worked for a month and then packed up. Took it back in and they did it under warranty. That worked sporadically so i took it back. They fitted a new one (again) and that one doesn't always work - usually when it's been parked up for 5 days or more. However, after unlocking the car manually and doing a few miles it usually comes back to life.

Now it's packed up completely! I really want to get it sorted and but its a trek back to the dealers who last replaced it in November.

Whenever i used it a little red light came on. I'm assuming that's a light to suggest it's activated? It doesn't come on now when pressed. Could the battery of gone in the unit? If so wouldn't they be expected to last more than 3 months?

Sounds like a problem with the alarm system rather than the key.

Hi Robertb and thanks for the comment. The previous owner has removed the alarm. Wouldn't the porsche garage of picked that up as a problem though rather than just replacing the key head?

I had a new key head it lasted a couple of months then packed up it was replaced that was 12 months ago and it has been fine since - if you don`t activate the locking/alarm for 3 days or more with the remote it goes to sleep you have use the key in the door and then the ignition to re-activate the system.

Del.

Brought a battery and put it in - works fine. I can only think that the Porsche dealer put a defective battery in my key head.

wasz said:
As said after a few days the thing goes to sleep and you need to use the key in door to unlock.

Ive learned something! I thought I had a problem with my key!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back