Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's the only thread duller than an oil thread?

highway

Well, the short answer is tyre pressures. MOT today. Another clean sheet with no advisories. Unfortunately small nail in the back tyre. Off to Costco for a £9.99 repair. The young fitter, clearly a car guy, asks me "What pressures does sir enjoy his tyres at?"
Or words to that effect. To my shame, I didn't readily know the answer. Off to Google and the results are quite overwhelmingly.

For 18"s Porsche state 36 front and 44 rear which seems very hard. Arguments rage re other settings taking into account all sorts of variables. He reset the lot, filling with nitrogen, to 35 front 40 rear. Driving home the car felt too hard at the back. I can't remember what they were at initially.

Can anyone go definitive or is it all a bit subjective?

You already have Porsche's recommendation

Anything else is personal preference

Good luck figuring this one out is all I can say... when I looked into it I found lots of advice on threads here and Rennlist etc but no real consensus. My take is that you can safely run lower, to taste, but Porsche recommend these pressures after much testing and they are safest for extracting optimum performance (on road, clearly track work is different). I found people using rear pressures as low as 38 to 40 and fronts 33 to 35.

Personally I run at the recommended 36/44. When I went to Centre Gravity for the geo they recommended these pressures for the geo. Since I had a fast road biased setup, I figured I'd stick with the same pressures as I was delighted with the new setup.

FYI I have 18" hollow spokes, wearing Michelein PS2s.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=103407

For 18s, based on the above thread, [f 36, r 40] seems popular over the Porsche recommended [f 36, r 44]

For 17s, [f 36, r 36] all round has been great, and also Porsche recommended.

highway said:
What's the only thread duller than an oil thread?

25 bags :dont know:

On topic though.........Porsche state the recommended pressures, defined & developed from various handling, performance, efficiency & safety tests, etc.

Have you ever thought the hard ride may be down to suspension and letting your tyres down to compensate might be a rather silly idea? :?:

If comfort's your priority - buy a Jag.

Outliar said:
Personally I run at the recommended 36/44. When I went to Centre Gravity for the geo they recommended these pressures for the geo

They gave me the same advice.

mohitos said:
Outliar said:
Personally I run at the recommended 36/44. When I went to Centre Gravity for the geo they recommended these pressures for the geo

They gave me the same advice.

Me too, but on my 996.1 without M030 I find 36/44 too hard, especially at the rear, I run 34/37 :thumb:

Interestingly, Pete at CG couldn`t get the rear to break loose on the roundabout on my tyre pressure settings and +1 Degree of rear camber :grin:

Big Joe (Jcx) is the forum king for tyre pressures. He's done all the calculations (including Boyle's Law) for you :roll:

Swap to 17" and then it's 36psi all round :thumb:

Illuminati concours d'elegance dock 3 points for a plugged tyre :what: Epic fail if the 'fitter' has not matched the base point of the crest in the wheel centre with the valve stem :bandit:

highway said:
Off to Costco for a £9.99 repair.

I once went to have a tyre repaired after finding a nail in it and the tyre fitter refused to repair it. He said "you drive a high performance sports car I won't repair it, you should replace it" and that was in Q8. :eek:

I am perhaps a bit paranoid about tyres. I change them regardless of wear every 5 years, but the last thing you want is a bung blowing out as you take a corner at 100 plus MPH.

ATB :)

Zingari said:
Big Joe (Jcx) is the forum king for tyre pressures. He's done all the calculations (including Boyle's Law) for you :roll:

Swap to 17" and then it's 36psi all round :thumb:

Illuminati concours d'elegance dock 3 points for a plugged tyre :what: Epic fail if the 'fitter' has not matched the base point of the crest in the wheel centre with the valve stem :bandit:

Do the judges still sample the air from each tyre, or have they reconsidered after the Pebble Beach tragedy?

I cant believe you brought that up............ingestion of tyre content is no longer allowed however full gas spectrometer analysis is carried out as a minimum. Apparently the ppm of contamination in nitrogen filled tyres is horrendous!

You are still allowed to lick the outer rim for taste comparison. .....

Makes sense.

I only had the 71st Edition Blue Book (2013 Concours Rule Book) to hand

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back