Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Values, values... Up or Down??

Hi all,

Just wondering what others views are on current values?

Plans for this year include a purchase of one of the following

996 4s, 997 2s, 997 4s

997 would be 05-07 I think.

Are this trio of options still dropping in value? Have they plateaued or are they on the turn? Guessing the 997 may still be a bit too new to be going up again.

Just interested in all the expert :worship: views on here with regards to values. I've not been studying them for long enough to know what movement there has been.

TIA :thumb:

Values of all 3 cars will depend upon history, condition , mileage, spec and (surprisingly) lastly age.

The spread of asking prices on each is considerable.

The 996C4S bottomed out 3 years ago and comparable prices seem to be up 30% on where they were then. There's still a few around for £20k ish but there's also loads of cars out there advertised at over £30k.

Early, high mileage 997C2S and C4S are available for around £20k but most are £25k-£30k. Late low mileage Gen1 cars are crossing over with early, higher mileage Gen 2 cars at c£33k.

Study places like AutoTrader and the PHeads classifieds to see the pattern. Always look to save 15% on equivalent cars by buying privately but be aware of the potential issues of the engines in all of them.

I'm of the opinion that values of 996 and 997 Carreras are currently where they will stay for the foreseeable future so buying the right car at the right price now should give depreciation proof motoring for a couple of years.

Happy Hunting. :thumb:

Thanks for that @T8

My savings/budget keeps getting hacked by life along the way but really trying to hold out for a 997 c4s. I just struggle with the 996 headlamps.
Like you say, have noticed this cross over point between late 996's and early 997's around that £20k to low 20's figure.

Ideally looking to find the right car and make it a keeper so if there is a bit of a drop it won't worry me. I am tempted by some of the private deals that are nice examples. Wouldn't go down this route without a PPI though.

I'd say drive all 3, decide which one you like, and list your "must haves" spec wise.

Then the search begins.

Whichever of the 3 you go for, if you buy sensibly - do enough searching etc - you'll be ok.

I personally would go for a 997 over a 996, and stretch to a 4S if you can.

I would also want a good warranty on it.

If you are concerned about purchasing your first Porsche 911 before really understanding, prices, spec, reliability, servicing, etc, I'd possibly suggest buying through an OPC. Fully backed by the 2 years Porsche bumper to bumper warranty and the inclusion of the 2 years breakdown policy. Which are bolted onto every used car they sell as standard.

As for 996 prices the good examples have slightly increased over the last 3 years. 997 good examples are still slightly increasing, but not at the rate of growth last 24 months. 997.2, again have increased as per the 997.1 and are still increasing in value ever so slightly.

I think if you were to buy a 4S with a nice overall spec list, you're playing safe. However you need to do your homework on servicing costs and what is the next interval.

The rules of 911 remain the same, ie if you buy a cheap 911 which has been kept on a shoe string, it may cost you more long term than just paying more for a garage queen. :thumb:

MNC911 said:
If you are concerned about purchasing your first Porsche 911 before really understanding, prices, spec, reliability, servicing, etc, I'd possibly suggest buying through an OPC. Fully backed by the 2 years Porsche bumper to bumper warranty and the inclusion of the 2 years breakdown policy. Which are bolted onto every used car they sell as standard.

I don't think he'd find a car at an OPC within his budget.

However, buying a standard car with decent history and getting an OPC warranty put on it would certainly give peace of mind.

For best 'protection' from depreciation, buy an example that is not near the price crossover to the next model.

An expensive low miles 997.1 is likely to be hit by cheaper Gen 2s

Have a drive of the different examples, see which appeals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back