Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A few questions.... my car is now..SOLD :-(

Zen Ben

I am going to be selling soon, I have a bit of lacquer peeling from the front bumper so just waiting to get that done.

The paint is also coming off the wheels in places and a few marks of corrosion but they have no kerb rash at all. I really am completely broke but should I get them refurbed before sale or just have the price reflect this?

Also, should I remove the white Porsche graphics from the side of the car?

Where is the best place to sell a 98S 100k C2 Cab Tip?

Re: A few questions before selling

Zen Ben said:
I am going to be selling soon, I have a bit of lacquer peeling from the front bumper so just waiting to get that done.

The paint is also coming off the wheels in places and a few marks of corrosion but they have no kerb rash at all. I really am completely broke but should I get them refurbed before sale or just have the price reflect this?

Also, should I remove the white Porsche graphics from the side of the car?

Where is the best place to sell a 98S 100k C2 Cab Tip?

I'd get it all done, can't cost much more to do the small jobs mentioned.

If a paintshop is doing the bumper as we speak, then just ask how much extra to give the wheels a quick spray over and take off the graphics, it can't be that much extra if they are already doing the bumper :dont know:

Autotrader/Pistonheads/eBay....you could try on here too, you never know, someone might clean/advertise/sell it for you for a few bags :grin: :oops: :hand:

joke_alert.gif

I'd get it done so it's spot on.

Most buyers will want to bid you anyway so the less the car obviously needs at sale time I think will help you achieve the best price.

You will still get complete idiots coming round though, our experience of selling our mk1 cayenne which I consider is mint for its age has been drawn out. I had an ex trader (?) come over and moan the cars had the bumpers painted, WTF it's 14 years old with 175k of course is had some paint here and there, no one would buy it with bumpers hanging off and scratches all over it :pc:

I hope you find the right buyer for your car :thumb:

How quickly do you need the cash?

How much are you trying to achieve?

Have you got time to do the bits and to sell the car yourself?

What are indies offering to you for straight cash or Sale Or Return basis?

Certainly, if the car is in anyway, get the minor bits done - but how you sell isn't straight forward depending on what you want.

I am going to get pretty desperate next month. Hoping for 10-11k ish. It's a great car but circumstances have left me £800 short each month.

I don't think i can afford to get the wheels done and i forgot that the roof catch is a bit iffy and needs a little guiding when closing. Maybe £10k is a bit optimistic?

Is it worth trying an eBay auction advert with all the issues mentioned? Start with a minimum figure you are happy with and no reserve.

I think you will always get time wasters and low offers but worth a try.

My experience with selling cars on ebay is that you seem to get more riffraff and then even if someone wins the auction they still don't have to buy it.

I would rather put it on autotrader at a realistic figure, Its in very good condition, FSH and only just had the major 98k service done so I'm hoping at the right price it will sell pretty quickly.

Good luck Ben - let us all know how you get on m8 :thumb:

Osh

Thanks Osh. I really am gutted, going to miss it big time but in a few months we will be in our new home in a new part of the country and hopefully another little one on the way :D

Good luck with the sale Ben, and all the other things you have going on. Exciting times. :thumb:

I'd just list it honestly for £10995 and see what happens. Get it up asap then if the phone doesn't ring within a couple of weeks you have to decide whether to drop the price or get the bits done.

The things you mention are really nothing and are to be expected on an older 911. All of us on here want or have things mint on our cars but we are still a minority compared to the vast numbers of 996's out there, a lot of which are still used as daily cars.

Honestly just use a hairdryer or boiling water to peel the graphics off gently, give the car a good hoover out, polish the bodywork (autoglym SRP is more than adequate and has fillers for the swirls) and use some tyre dressing.
Basically get it as nice as it can be.

You can even tackle the lacquer peel yourself with some 2000/2500 wet and dry paper. Wet it and rub over the peeling edges. Then buff up with with a cutting compound. Even by hand if you don't have a machine. You can get it invisible.

Those wheels are my favourite 996 wheels ( I have a set ready to go on mine) but they corrode for fun, so any car with those on will likely need them refurbing unless they've very recently been done. So again don't worry too much.

It's a used car at a sensible price. Don't worry about making it like new for the next guy. Everyone knows they'll have to invest a bit after purchase to make the car their own, they'd be mad to think otherwise and in for a big shock.

I personally think any 996 with no hidden horrors lurking and sensible miles e.g., sub 110/120k is worth £10k. So test the water asap and worry about it if the phone doesn't ring.

Good luck bud. :thumb:

Mind you I think I said your 328 Sport would be worth £3k but I didn't see it sell. :grin:
To be fair I'd presumed it was a manual. My bad. Massive effect on price.

Thanks mate. Yeah the 328 was an auto, sold for £2300 netting me a £100 profit, so could have been worse, don't normally make money from cars.

I picked up a 2003 50k mileage Golf V5 for £1500 so thats our new family car.

I will have a go with the wet and dry first, if not i'm sure my guy won't charge more than a couple of hundred to respray it.

Think I will leave the wheels for now. As for cleaning it, its always pretty immaculate as its normally washed twice a month and at the end of the day its a 20 year old car so people should expect a little wear.

Zen Ben said:
Thanks Osh. I really am gutted, going to miss it big time but in a few months we will be in our new home in a new part of the country and hopefully another little one on the way :D

That's what really matters, sounds like exciting times.

Good luck with the sale.

Zen Ben said:

Good stuff Ben - as RobB says, exciting times. Wish you the best of British m8; and one day welcoming you back on here with another 911...(and a baby seat!) :thumb:

Osh

Yeah, i will own another in a heart beat. I will save it for my 50th in 10 years and call it a mid life crisis!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back