Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch gen 1 997s

Thrilled with the car but im surprised how heavy the clutch is and in addition I'm find it quite hard to modulate the last bit of travel of the pedal for smooth changes. I'm still getting used to it but it's requiring greater concentration than usual. Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.

get an indy to check it. Might need a new one. When I brought my car 2 years ago I had someone who knows them backwards drive it around the block and he said it was starting to go, so got it replaced by the dealer for free because they had said everything was in good condition.....

Whereabouts are you based? Sure we can point you to someone who will instantly know if it's ok.

Sport and Classic Knutsford is the nearest Indy but mines under 2 years OPC warranty. Only picked her up yesterday.

I'd have thought it'd have been checked under the inspection to get it on the warranty . They've changed the drive belt, brake fluid, spark plugs, new air con condenser and regas, 4 wheel alignment, coolant pipes, cam chain tensioner seal, low level horn and fuel filler cap plus a new key as part of the prep so seemed to be thorough. I'll give them a cal in the morning but it'll be going into Wolverhampton as my nearest dealer.

From personal experience the clutch gets heavier as it wears out

Had the same with mine; 1st Porsche and was told it was normal, so tried to get use to it, but did spoil the initial experience for me. The car had around 40K miles on it and to be fair lasted another 6 or 7K before the clutch gave up.
As Jam911 said they seem to get heavier before they wear out... I would push to get it replaced, they really aren't that heavy!

So this might get interesting. Clutch is not covered under warranty, it is a consumable. However, mine was paid for by the dealer because they had stated everything was in great condition. At the time it was also serviced (major) by the dealer at their local OPC (Leeds) so I had a 111 point check report. They didn't register the clutch, it was the independant dealer near me, who had nothing to do with the sale, which took it round the block and said it was the only thing they found issue with. That was portiacraft in Mill Hill who are excellent. Taking the time to check it when they had nothing to do with it will always be something I appreciate!

So, ask your OPC, because if they've told you it's fine, then it should be fine, but sounds like it's on its way out. Get a 2nd opinion from someone good and knows 997's backwards.

You are like me, I hadn't driven a 997 before except for test drives, so wasn't sure if it was a problem!

The supplying dealer have reassured me that it's normal!! I'll be popping down to my local OPC for them to assess it. I'll also get a couple of other opinions. My pal drove it yesterday Andy nismdriven plenty of 911s, currently owns 993 and f430 manual didn't comment on the weight but agreed it was hard to modulate.the OPC warranyndoesnt kik in for 28 days and as it's a weekend car thencar wont seen any mileage now until the better weather kicks in, other than a trip to OPC Wolverhampton.

To add. The used car controller drove it for an hour before agreeing to take it on px and the service guys drove it as part of the inspection. Maybe it's me. It's done 32k on this clutch.

Mine was heavy and hard to modulate and needed a new mass flywheel when the clutch was changed! all was soooooo much different after the work was done and the car was a pleasure to drive. My guess is you need a new clutch and flywheel.

Mine was diagnosed during a health check at OPC West London "Clutch operations very stiff, suspect worn clutch" at 39,500 miles (9 years old) - I was skeptical and ignored it (if you drive it all the time, you don't really notice it getting stiffer or heavier - you are just used to it)

To be fair, it lasted another couple of months and only 800 miles before it completely went. I was advised by indie to change the flywheel as it may or may not judder, and I decided not to take the risk - this added £500 to the bill.

I was under the impression that the flywheel is not a problem on the Gen1, sure this is what Grant at Hartech told me when I was up there a couple of weeks ago!

I'll have a couple of runs out in it and get a couple of pals to drive it. If I'm still concerned I'll nip it into Porsche Wolverhampton for an assessment.

997 clutch

I've just got my c4s 997 back from having the fuel pump replaced,and the Indy comemted on how heavy my cluctch was and said it was definite sign of it wearing out,(funny because the guy I bought it from showed me a receipt for a new clutch 3k ago)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back