Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hairy Headlight moment - a cautionary tale.

glenwells

Monza
May help somebody in the future.

A nice person decided to sit on the drivers wing of my car and left a small BUT NOTICEABLE TO ME!! dent on the top of it. Probably from something in back pocket. Aren't people just lovely! Anyhow the dent repair man I have used before was chocker and not available.
Given the small size and having wathced said dent repair man fix a previous dent I thought 'what the hell how hard can it be?' Armed with a degree from Youtube video watching I set about the task.

Removed the headlight with the supplied key no problem and set about the removal of the dent. Had a magnetic light set up on the wing and a tool to remove the dent. Easy accesss to the needed spot Ineeded to get at with the headlight out.

Took me a lot lot longer than the dant man would have done but mission accomplished and happy with the now gone dent. Probably on 98% of what dent removal man would have achieved but I just aint got the patience.
Bet at this point you thought I had effed up the dent removal!

So onto the headlight reinstall. Little bit fiddly as have not done it for a while and it did lock eventually into place - happy days.

Driving to work the next morning a warning light comes on 'check right dip beam'. I had thoughts of it not locked in and shaking out and me driving over it. With directional beams those babies are 1K+ ouch. Needless to say I stopped asap and checked it over - now pissing down and I am in my work suit - not happy days. Starting to think waiting for dent removal man would have been the better option.

It all seemed secure so I drove to work with one headlight on sad for such a nice car.

When back at home I removed the headlight to find the single pin on the male block was completely bent over flat. Oh darn it I said.

I had visions of it being the sort of pin that on attempting to straighten it would snap off and probably fly into my eye just for the hell of it. I was REALLY careful with a small screwdriver and pliers in straightening the pin. Fortunatley I was ok.
On checking the connection block inside the car where the headlight fits I now note that it does move a little. Did get it relocated and seemed the same as previous but on checking the lights all was well phew.

In closing be especially careful when putting 977.1 and .2 headlights back as the pin and block may not quite line up. You really don't want to be sending one to be fixed or worse replaced.

ta
relieved owner
Glen Wells

that story had so many options for a major disaster glen, my money was on the fact that you made an emergency stop at a crossing and your headlight flew out and hit an old lady, perhaps we should submit alternative endings...

Does it continue that the light hit the old lady you jumped on the brakes seeing the old lady on the floor light embedded in her head you grabbed your mobile called 999 to inform them about an old lady with a head light., A passing plod then gave you £200 fine and 6 points for using your mobile while the engine was still running. :grin: :grin:

Moral of the story ........... always wait for the dent man to turn up :wink:

At least you have someone to blame when the headlamp is put back wrong :floor:

Oh yeh ........ dent guys need to eat too ! :D

Indeed

Unfortunately there are far too many examples of where my impatience has caused an almost carry-on cascade of near misses. Allas I am doomed to never learn.

Ho hum

....and when you got home you discovered that Plod has been leaning on your wing when writing out your ticket and his truncheon was in his back pocket - which pushed against the wing and causing the original dent to re-appear

PS1000 said:
....and when you got home you discovered that Plod has been leaning on your wing when writing out your ticket and his truncheon was in his back pocket - which pushed against the wing and causing the original dent to re-appear

:floor: :floor: :floor: very good :thumb:

Just polished the headlight on my 996 4S... having read this I had the sweats when I fitted the light back in!

PS1000 said:
#

Absolutely brilliant!

I sprayed coffee all over my desk when I got to this one! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back