Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension components

Gollom122

Suzuka
My 2006 57000 miler is starting to feel a bit twitchy and tram lining. Front tyres are wearing on the inner edges.
Would I be expecting steering and suspension bushes to be knackered at this age and need refreshing? Any idea on costs?

Has the car got pasm? If so then switch it on and if it's still the same, I'd say it needs a geometry check. If it's better then I'd say the tyres are shot.

That was my experience :thumb:

Gollom122 said:
yeah got PASM I'll give it a try?

Definitely. On a familiar road where it's tram lining preferably.

If it feels better at speed then I'd change the tyres.

I had Pirelli pzero on mine first. About 3mm tread and at speed the thing was all over the place. Mate said it felt dangerous and I told him no, it's a Porsche characteristic :lol:

Decided on new rubber ( Michelin) and totally transformed the car :thumb:

Ps - I've never had the geo checked. No need. Tyres wear well and it handles like a god :grin:

Alfaian said:
Gollom122 said:

I had Pirelli pzero on mine first. About 3mm tread and at speed the thing was all over the place. Mate said it felt dangerous and I told him no, it's a Porsche characteristic :lol:

Ps - I've never had the geo checked. No need. Tyres wear well and it handles like a god :grin:

PASM didnt help - if anything it was worse. I am low on rubber so might just try that first

Gollom122 said:
Alfaian said:
Gollom122 said:

PASM didnt help - if anything it was worse. I am low on rubber so might just try that first

Yes, Change the rubber and I'd bet the car will be back to its best :thumb:

Just put my summer Pzeros back on this week with about 4/5mm tread left after running Pirelli Sotozero winters for the last few months and the car feals terrible in comparison.

The front feals light and tramlines, the back wollows over slow speed bumps etc. Even the PASM feals different in sport mode, more bouncy at the front.

I expect the tracking is fine because it felt good with the winters and it had not long been checked before that so the most likly culpritt is the tyres. Will try a different brand next time, either Bridgestone or Michelin I expect.

They dont like being on low rummer mine felt horrible and was sorted with new boots. :thumb:

rhino-man said:
Just put my summer Pzeros back on this week with about 4/5mm tread left after running Pirelli Sotozero winters for the last few months and the car feals terrible in comparison.

The front feals light and tramlines, the back wollows over slow speed bumps etc. Even the PASM feals different in sport mode, more bouncy at the front.

I expect the tracking is fine because it felt good with the winters and it had not long been checked before that so the most likly culpritt is the tyres. Will try a different brand next time, either Bridgestone or Michelin I expect.
Just a thought and no idea if talking out of my bottom but is it worth switching left and right if worn differently, just in case you switched them over?

A quick update - I put new rubber on the front and got the alignment checked on a Hunter. Everything was within tolerance except a minor rear camber only just off the mark.
The car drives much better but I am still picking up some 'bounce' as I drive.
Would you expect control arms or top mount bushes to account for any of this feel? Steering wheel id perfectly straight and no juddering - just feels like the front end isn't right.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back