Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Notchy Gears on cold: 1st ->2nd

Rob325114

Spa-Francorchamps
I've been living with notchy gear changes since I brought my C2S. I noticed it on a few cars that I test drove before buying and after research found it is pretty standard. it disappears once the car is warm, but is annoying over the first 5-10mins of every drive.

I came across this post over at rennlist whilst revisiting:
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/683141-notchy-1-2-shifting-got-fixed.html

Has anyone tried this, or any other solutions to lessen the notchiness?

My car is going for it's annual service and MOT in April, and I'm wondering if I should add this to the list of tasks I want done.

Mine was pretty good. Only the odd time would be notchy.

Put a short shifter in a few weeks ago and changing gear has noticeably improved :thumb:

Mine, and indeed most manual cars I've driven need a bit of extra care when cold to get a clean change. A few of the comments on the linked thread mention double-declutching, which I do and it works well.

On 80's Ferraris it was generally accepted that you went missed out second til it had warmed up.

No harm in trying the adjustment though. I've read that new engine mounts can help, oddly.

Robertb said:
Mine, and indeed most manual cars I've driven need a bit of extra care when cold to get a clean change. A few of the comments on the linked thread mention double-declutching, which I do and it works well.

On 80's Ferraris it was generally accepted that you went missed out second til it had warmed up.

No harm in trying the adjustment though. I've read that new engine mounts can help, oddly.

I thought the semi solid mounts leaned out the torque at the flywheel, which would make gear changes better I suppose.

I had same problem, and have short shift.

However since changing gearbox oil to Millers, it has been very smooth. I've mentioned it before, and a few others disagreed with me, but it has solved my problem.

Poker2009 said:
I had same problem, and have short shift.

However since changing gearbox oil to Millers, it has been very smooth. I've mentioned it before, and a few others disagreed with me, but it has solved my problem.

I'm getting mine changed to millers box oil in the service (major) next month.

I think an SSK, function first transmission mount insert , miller trans oil. and poss semisolid engine mounts would fix your issue and broaden your grim massively. It would feel like a proper 911 :thumb: :thumb:

For me, ensuring that the pedal is fully down makes a big difference.

There is a tiny bit of additional travel, after the pedal feels fully depressed that must only be 1/2 inch, but it helps to engage those low gears.

jpsh120 said:

There is a tiny bit of additional travel, after the pedal feels fully depressed that must only be 1/2 inch, but it helps to engage those low gears.[/quote

That's what I find. When warm, what feels like the end of travel suffices, when cold that final bit makes a significant difference. The good lady wife has mentioned similar..

s70rjw said:
jpsh120 said:

There is a tiny bit of additional travel, after the pedal feels fully depressed that must only be 1/2 inch, but it helps to engage those low gears.[/quote

That's what I find. When warm, what feels like the end of travel suffices, when cold that final bit makes a significant difference. The good lady wife has mentioned similar..

Many thanks for the over-share :eek:

Some good suggestions here. Perhaps I will start with the millers as part of the service and start training the muscles in my left leg for a harder press.

FRZ 911 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Is this the tool needed for the adjustment? Its says 986 and 996 but would this fit for the 997 ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-B...849244?hash=item2cba94685c:g:KCgAAOSwr~lYqabB

J

Going by the part number in the ebay pics it fits according to these guys: http://www.parts-wise.com/porsche-997/tools-and-accessories/c83/ and you'll note the price (in Euros)!

D911UK are looking £2.98 (+ VAT) for the same part.................

Thanks for the info FRZ 911, next time i down at Design 911 ill pick myself up one of these !!!

cheers

J

I thought that the alignment tool just keeps the lever in the right position whilst you pop the cable ends into the grips! There isn't any real adjustment at the cable ends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back