Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Oil level gauge

davidjf7

Imola
Chaps, how accurate is this gauge?

Checked the level yesterday and it was one segment down, so when I got home I added 200ml whilst the engine was running, then rechecked the gauge and it was showing as full.

Was slightly surprised as I thought each segment was 300ml

:dont know:

Anyway, checked the level again this morning when I got to work and it's now showing as overfilled!

Any ideas?

Each segment is 400ml

But you should only check when the oil is at op temp (as it expands), but also left to dwell for 10-30 mins after parking for the oil to fully return to sump.

Also, must be on level ground.

In terms of checking as you fill, it can take 5 mins or more for newly added oil to fully register, especially if poured cold.

Great info, thanks GT4!

Should I be concerned that it's now showing over-full?

I only added 200ml and the gauge said I was 400ml down!

If it isn't smoking out the tail pipes (when cold, the cats may remove when hot, so the test is not as valid when hot), then I wouldn't bother

If it is smoking, drain slightly (syphon is least mess for such a small quantity)

davidjf7 said:

For the future, bear in mind that the bars on the gauge show the recommended minimum and maximum oil level. i.e not the difference between empty and full.

At the minimum there is still 8 litres + in the tank so as long as you stay above that everything will be fine.

When topping up I'd recommend only adding 50ml at a time as overfilling can be as bad as running a bit under the minimum.

T8 said:
When topping up I'd recommend only adding 50ml at a time as overfilling can be as bad as running a bit under the minimum.

And far far worse than running somewhere in the middle of the gauge!

I'm not too keen on this system. I'm not a luddite but why the hell move away from a good old dipstick??
Level transmitters can and do wander out of calibration. Rare, but it can happen. As can short or open circuit.... Bah! Bring back the dipstick, how can it NOT work 100% all the time?

You could leave it on top of the engine :dont know:

GT4 said:
You could leave it on top of the engine :dont know:

And why would you do that?

There is no logical reason, but that doesn't seem to stop every entry for You've Been Framed

GT4 said:
If it isn't smoking out the tail pipes (when cold, the cats may remove when hot, so the test is not as valid when hot), then I wouldn't bother

If it is smoking, drain slightly (syphon is least mess for such a small quantity)

Thanks GT4, much appreciated - will check when I start the car tonight

T8 said:
davidjf7 said:

For the future, bear in mind that the bars on the gauge show the recommended minimum and maximum oil level. i.e not the difference between empty and full.

At the minimum there is still 8 litres + in the tank so as long as you stay above that everything will be fine.

Lesson learnt! Thought I was already being cautious adding 200ml :wack:

davidjf7 said:
GT4 said:

Don't confuse with the sporadic puffs due to flat engine design, which disappears in seconds.

If overfill, it will smoke for many minutes/continuously (although this is not to say over fill is the only reason for extended smoking)

GT4 said:
davidjf7 said:
GT4 said:

Don't confuse with the sporadic puffs due to flat engine design, which disappears in seconds.

If overfill, it will smoke for many minutes/continuously (although this is not to say over fill is the only reason for extended smoking)

Thanks again! Certainly didn't notice any excessive smoke this morning, so fingers crossed

The oil pan in the DFI engine in the 997.2 is also shallower, this will emphasise the change in level when the car is not level.

The lack of a dipstick in the engine for measuring the level is frustrating so I use the electronic check before shutting down. The 997.1 does at least perform an oil level check before you start the engine which would be seem to be worth knowing before starting the engine.

Major oversight by Porsche in my opinion.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back