Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knackered turbo chagrger on my 996

Hoggy

So after a bit of an investigation it appears that my offside turbo is in a bad way. The impellor wheel is an effort to turn so something isn't happy.

So, do I simply send them both off (my thinking is that if one is like this then the other cant be far away) and get them refurbished as a standard unit or should I be thinking about anything else while I'm at it?

Also, any tips on wheres the best place to send them?

Thanks

Reporting for duty sir :D

I had a pair rebuilt by AET;

http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk

It was all organised by Fearnsport as they were working on my car. Cost was very reasonable. I would give them a call to discuss. They know these turbo's well and will advise on options. Of course they will not be able to give you a fixed price until they have stripped them down to see what is required.

You are really faced with two options;

1. Have it rebuilt to stock specification. You will have K16 turbos if yours is a run of the mill 996 turbo. If your car is a 'X50' or 'S' then you will have K24 turbos.

2. Have your turbos rebuilt as a hybrid. This will offer a very nice power increase. You will 100% have to have the car mapped though, otherwise the engine may run lean on boost with all that extra air going in.. In order to get the most out of the hybrids you will need either a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator (cheap option) or ideally new larger injectors. If you go down this route then I would also consider fitting a walbro in tank pump, this is an easy enough job to do 'Ragpicker' did a good write up on it a few years back. Oh and if yours is a manual you will need a uprated clutch.

If you go with option 2 be warned tuning these cars is highly addictive :thumbs:

tank.gif

:thumb:

911tom said:
Reporting for duty sir :D

I had a pair rebuilt by AET;

http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk

It was all organised by Fearnsport as they were working on my car. Cost was very reasonable. I would give them a call to discuss. They know these turbo's well and will advise on options. Of course they will not be able to give you a fixed price until they have stripped them down to see what is required.

You are really faced with two options;

1. Have it rebuilt to stock specification. You will have K16 turbos if yours is a run of the mill 996 turbo. If your car is a 'X50' or 'S' then you will have K24 turbos.

2. Have your turbos rebuilt as a hybrid. This will offer a very nice power increase. You will 100% have to have the car mapped though, otherwise the engine may run lean on boost with all that extra air going in.. In order to get the most out of the hybrids you will need either a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator (cheap option) or ideally new larger injectors. If you go down this route then I would also consider fitting a walbro in tank pump, this is an easy enough job to do 'Ragpicker' did a good write up on it a few years back. Oh and if yours is a manual you will need a uprated clutch.

If you go with option 2 be warned tuning these cars is highly addictive :thumbs:

Thanks very much for the reply. I've spoken to AET and they seem pretty certain that these are a fairly common turbo that they rebuild. As much as it would be fun to go down the hybrid bigger power route I think I'll just stick with standard specification just now. Hoping to get the turbos off and sent away next week so fingers crossed its a simple rebuild then back on the car.

It's going to Spa in a few weeks so need to get the finger out!

Best of luck getting them off. It is not a nice job as the studs are always seriously corroded. Just take your time with it, lots of WD40 and patience will be required :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back