Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rust on rear wheel arch.

alan Laing

Silverstone
Have a friend looking at an early 996. He is concerned over the car he has looked at has a little rust bubble appearing on the rear arch.
Have any others on here experienced any rust issues on a 996.
Thanks in advance. Cheers Al

Only on repairs. Wouldn't worry about it too much. Can easily be sorted for under £200 if it's only light.

I'd be more concerned of the rust on the manifold bolts.

There are sooooo many other things to worry about. If that is the only one I would buy the car.

MC

Very very common. Don't worry about it, but obviously check all other panels are original. Look for under bonnet sticker and factory seams where rear quarters meet the rear panel.

They're getting to that age where stone chips on arches are developing into rust bubbles. Usually very slow growing. Most cars look like they've been shot blasted where the front arches meet the side skirts. All just normal signs of use.

alex yates said:
I'd be more concerned of the rust on the manifold bolts.

I'm with Alex on this one, along with front rads and top mounts......to list but a couple more.

rear arch

When I had my 993 in getting scuttle done there was a 996 which I was shown that had a new piece of metal welded into rear arch after what started as just a bubble! It then needed rear quarter painted so don't just assume it will only be a £100 to sort mate!

It all depends on whether the rust is coming through from underneath, in which case this would point to a poor previous repair, or top down from a stone chip or the like. The latter will be relatively straightforward and inexpensive to sort out but rust resulting from a poor previous repair could be expensive.

alan Laing said:
Have a friend looking at an early 996. He is concerned over the car he has looked at has a little rust bubble appearing on the rear arch.

Thanks Al for posting this question. The rest of the car seems fine body wise. I think I just be wanting an spotless car for my money. I'm just so fussy at times.

haggis catcher said:
alan Laing said:

Thanks Al for posting this question. The rest of the car seems fine body wise. I think I just be wanting an spotless car for my money. I'm just so fussy at times.

Nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the forum. In my experience there is often little in price between cars in good condition and those in poor condition, so holding out for a good one is a smart move.

MC

The rear arches are the first places that rust on the 996, I noticed the seam between my inner and outer skins had a little rust developing so I stripped it back, sealed it and made good before it started to get any worse, it's looked fine for a couple of years now but it is one place to watch for 996 owners and if you can nip it in the bud now you will save a lot of expense in the future.

infrasilver said:
The rear arches are the first places that rust on the 996...

Yep - 996s aren't made out of vibranium or anything, ultimately they will rust the same as anything else, they're just better treated than most in the first place(!) - my 996 will be 20 years old next year and will have covered close to 225,000 miles

I've had one arch cut out and new metal welded in (nearside). At some point the same will ultimately be required on the offside.

Note: worth having a look at the "sandwich" seams on the edges of your engine cover/decklid and bonnet - these will ultimately start to go as well.... and maybe don't ever look underneath your car if you are this squeamish........

Time to consider a good underside cleanup and waxoyl clear treatment :?:

If you want some work to do, look at the underside of sills The seam that meets the floor pan. Especially if you own a car fitted with side skirts.

Job for summer 2017... yey!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back