Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So the 2017 F1 season is almost upon us

kurlykris

Who will you be supporting this year :?:

For me it will be Mercedes, as per usual, my 2nd favourite car manufacturer :grin:

Just tried to buy a 2017 shirt from their online shop, but their limited stock is all 2016 and nothing in my size :sad:

It's shaping up to be a good one with the new cars looking much, much racier, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - if it's made overtaking even harder then boo.

I'm looking forward to the noobies coming in - the Stoff and Stroll, and Maxi in a hopefully even more competitive car.

But I'll be supporting Lewis as always. Although I don't think I'm gonna get to a GP this year :(

Its Lewis for me on the track he's the business, off the track a little questionable :dont know:

Looking forward to it.......I am a Mercedes fan but hope Fezza give them a fight this year.

I am a tad perplexed going into this year as I don't actually think that I'll be supporting anyone.

Even though I rate Lewis highly and am always happy with a British win, he isn't really someone I find terribly interesting or endearing and I am decidedly anti-Mercedes in general due to the way they view ordering their drivers about.

McLaren : there is just nothing to get behind there at all is there. The ousting of Ron Denis was like when people who don't understand football buy premiership teams and think that sacking the manager will result in success. Then like a bunch of children they have to change everything from the naming convention of the car model to the livery in order to distance themselves from the previous regime - and that new livery is dreadful. They haven't even used the traditional McLaren Papaya Orange, but rather made it look like the old Arrows or the LMP2 G Drive. And of course : Fernando will sulk a lot.

Williams continue to be a personal favourite and have a very tidy livery, but even though Massa has always seemed pretty likeable as an individual I have never really rated him to be a top tier driver. I don't see him eclipsed by the new boy with the rich dad either.

Red Bull at least have a pair of drivers that I like, but I have always found Christian Horner difficult to like and I have never really felt inclined to get behind a team named after an energy drink that tastes like cough medicine and prevents sleep.

Ferrari - they have been running the team like an exercise in half baked office politics for years and to me they deserve no success of any kind for it. Vettel's tendency to whine on the radio doesn't help either (though I no longer dislike him the way that I used to when he was at Red Bull).

Force India would be a candidate if they didn't have a name which sounds like either a bad translation or an 80s children's television programme.

Sauber are impossible to take seriously since that amateur night s*** sandwich of a driver fiasco the other year, and of course are affiliated with Chelsea football club so they are right out of it.

Renault just make road cars that I utterly dislike so I couldn't root for them.

Toro Rosso are of course Red Bull junior. If they hadn't renamed them from Minardi I would have a lot more affection for them, as I would if the team wasn't portrayed as a division of the Red Bull team that exists solely as a holding area for prospective drivers in the serious team.

Haas are a NASCAR team that bought a Ferrari that they didn't understand well enough to develop. As such it is tough to get behind them either.

So it looks like I will be watching without any care at all for the outcome this year. :dont know:

Love the Sauber appraisal :floor:

Rule changes and the morphed shape of the cars looks to be positive. :thumb:

For me, so long as Ferrari, Red Bull and/or McLaren can keep Mercedes honest across the 20 races, then 2017 will be a great season. :lol:

So then, interesting testing so far. Tyres look like they'll go a race and can deal with thermal degradation. That's a good start in my book.

Mercedes sandbagging I'm sure. McLaren looking desperate again.

And now it emerges Stroll has written the Williams chassis off so they'll take no further part in this testing. Way to go son, great start to your career.

Disco said:
I am a tad perplexed going into this year as I don't actually think that I'll be supporting anyone.

Even though I rate Lewis highly and am always happy with a British win, he isn't really someone I find terribly interesting or endearing and I am decidedly anti-Mercedes in general due to the way they view ordering their drivers about.

McLaren : there is just nothing to get behind there at all is there. The ousting of Ron Denis was like when people who don't understand football buy premiership teams and think that sacking the manager will result in success. Then like a bunch of children they have to change everything from the naming convention of the car model to the livery in order to distance themselves from the previous regime - and that new livery is dreadful. They haven't even used the traditional McLaren Papaya Orange, but rather made it look like the old Arrows or the LMP2 G Drive. And of course : Fernando will sulk a lot.

Williams continue to be a personal favourite and have a very tidy livery, but even though Massa has always seemed pretty likeable as an individual I have never really rated him to be a top tier driver. I don't see him eclipsed by the new boy with the rich dad either.

Red Bull at least have a pair of drivers that I like, but I have always found Christian Horner difficult to like and I have never really felt inclined to get behind a team named after an energy drink that tastes like cough medicine and prevents sleep.

Ferrari - they have been running the team like an exercise in half baked office politics for years and to me they deserve no success of any kind for it. Vettel's tendency to whine on the radio doesn't help either (though I no longer dislike him the way that I used to when he was at Red Bull).

Force India would be a candidate if they didn't have a name which sounds like either a bad translation or an 80s children's television programme.

Sauber are impossible to take seriously since that amateur night s*** sandwich of a driver fiasco the other year, and of course are affiliated with Chelsea football club so they are right out of it.

Renault just make road cars that I utterly dislike so I couldn't root for them.

Toro Rosso are of course Red Bull junior. If they hadn't renamed them from Minardi I would have a lot more affection for them, as I would if the team wasn't portrayed as a division of the Red Bull team that exists solely as a holding area for prospective drivers in the serious team.

Haas are a NASCAR team that bought a Ferrari that they didn't understand well enough to develop. As such it is tough to get behind them either.

So it looks like I will be watching without any care at all for the outcome this year. :dont know:

Close the thread, we have a winner! Some very good points here! Vettell has grown on me since leaving Red DUll. I support Lewis and Mercedes though, can see why some people dislike the celebrity that is Lewis, but I actually think he has heart, he's just gone a little OTT with selfies and that kind of strange behaviour. But sooner that, than the repressed man that he was a Maclaren.

Merc and Fezza looking top boys if current testing is anything to go by.

Formula one

Wow these new cars look super quick in testing. Sad demise of mclaren and Honda . Drivers more like fighter pilots :eek:

Be nice to see the Porsche name back in the sport. Won't happen!

Anyone follow?

Formula One.........in a 997? :?: :wack:

I've not used any other forum on this site or anywhere else so, yes why not :)

Anyway, you're on a 997 forum while having a 996 :)

LOL, can 987 Boxsters take part :?:

Stop being naughty Alex :hand:

kurlykris said:
Stop being naughty Alex :hand:

Just warming T8 up. Gotta keep him busy :grin:

Have you noticed he's more regimental on here when his car's sorn'd for the winter :wack:

MOD COMMENT. Thread moved from 997 sub-forum and merged with this one. Apologies for the tardiness in doing so.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back