Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS secondary heater bypass

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all, (sorry 996 crowd, i posted in the wrong area)

I like the idea of more space in the engine bay and I am thinking of doing the above. The carbon fibre look may be a bit too racey for me and I wondered if there was a part number for the genuine porsche RS unit if I go down that route.

Also, does anyone know exactly what I will lose out by doing this (in the way of heating). I will disconnect it and test this weekend hopefully, but just wondered if anyone knew. One website said it was used for the "quick screen defrost blast" - top button on RHS of heater, any ideas?

Jan

I bought my bypass (factory part) from Gert at Carnewal.

I also bought relay jumper 964.610.184.00 to replace the rear blower relay that you no longer need. If you have a very early 993, you don't need the 964 type fan shroud piece either, otherwise you will. I don't have the part number for that to hand but Gert will advise you.

You will lose some heat into the cabin and the extra cooling when the engine is very hot but switched off. So you need to decide if the risk is worthwhile to you.

I have functional a/c for demystifying and deal with heat in other ways so I'm not worried.

They are a pain to fit had a c/f one then a proper RS one similar problems. You need to get the upper seated in the second recess on the shroud and I used a Turbo rubber connector bit at the bottom without the hose clamp it's a wee bit longer. The blower bypass electronic fix did not work for me but Tore has a fix to the CCU wiring which sorted it. The loss of static cooling has not ben a problem in the 5yrs or so it's been on, if you are worried then a cooling down lap would help. The RS one looks cheap compared to a nice c/f one but quality varies. The front blower fuse blew once but hot air still came in the cabin from just the engine fan in fact too much, so heating has never been a problem. The only problem I have not sorted is water dribbling down the bypass when parked and getting into the ducting which steams up the screen for the first 10 mins. on a cold winter morning.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back