Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling any ICE gurus- noise issue

Robertb

Yas Marina
I have an upgraded amp and head unit in my 4S. The amp was fitted by a previous owner, and I've changed the head unit.

There is a quiet whining noise from the speakers that rises and falls with the engine revs. Its amusing for a bit, but gets on my nerves sometimes!

I think its the amp as it did it with the previous head unit too. The noise does not change in volume with the volume control, and only stops when you fully turn off the head unit.

Is this likely to be a nightmare to sort, or relatively straightforward?

I would think that is alternator whine. often caused by a bad earth somewhere. You can fit a noise suppressor into the loop and it may well get rid of the noise. Find your local quality car audio place and I would think they could fit one for you in a matter of minutes if they diagnose similar :)

Thanks folks, I will take it down to the local ICE place and hopefully it can be resolved easily with a noise suppressor.

fingers crossed!

BenC said:
fingers crossed!

Indeed. Rarely does a repair solution end up being simpler or cheaper than expected!

This will be ignition noise coupling, the location the the earthing points of both the amp and head-unit need to be at the same location.

The ignition system creates large pulses of current and these return to battery via the vehicle chassis and there will be small voltage drop between the engine and the battery. Having the earth location for different bits of the stereo in different places means this voltage drop gets superimposed onto the stereo wiring and you hear a buzzing sound in the speakers related to the engine revs.

When the earth locations are the same, the same noise is present on all wires and it doesn't create this problem. The noise suppressor referred to earlier is just a capacitor and all it is trying to do is make the noise appear equally on both sides of the wires to reduce the symptoms but is not the root cause.

Hope this helps.
Pete.

Much in line with the replies above but I had a similar issue with a previous car and it was cured by bolting a separate/additional earthing wire to the metal body of the head unit - rather than relying on the unit's wiring through the connector/harness only - hope this made sense! :oops:

:thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back