Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP! Trolley jack stuck...

DerbyJim

To the Porsche learned.....

So I had a puncture in the side wall of my left rear today. Nearly new Michelin PS2s as well, gutted!

So being 1.5 miles from home, I've got the other half to come out with my tools incl a 2 tonne trolley jack - it's from Halfrauds if you know it the one.

The trolley jack will not lower all the way now and has got stuck. I expect some mud and stones have got stuck inside and I can't get them out or it's simply knackered.

What are my best options? Get another trolley jack and then make that one higher in order to get the other one out? If so, which jacking point do I use?

Do I call out breakdown and again, if so, what equipment would I be looking for them to have?

Your thoughts are appreciated. If you are nearby Bookham / Dorking area and able to help tonight or tomorrow then feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Jim

Will it jack back up again? If so, jack it up and put something under the wheel, like a house brick or thick peice of wood if you have one. Must be something lying around near you. Then try lowering the jack again and see if you can now get it out. Then either find another way of lifting the car off the brick or just......drive off it.

I think another trolly jack is your best bet , assumeing you have the jack stuck on the n/s/r jack point then you can either jack on the front one that side and see if it will lift high enough or on the suspension where the engine brace and suspension meet.

I would think the brace under the engine would be ok but on some models its a bit weaker and im not sure what car you have.

Edit ..

Or what Alex said as he beat me to it again ! lol

Or if you have a long length of 5 by 2, place it under the side next to the jack and lever it up in the air whilst someone pulls the jack out.

The jack will go back up again and then goes part way down.

It won't go high enough for me to put much more than a cm or two of wood under the wheels I.e. Not enough to get the jack out.

Another one at the front might work. Demort - whereabouts do you mean? Mine is a C4S cabriolet 2007.

Alex - not sure what you mean by the levering it up comment? Can you explain further?

Thx

like this but without a pivot point. Put the end of the plank under the edge of the car and lift against the sill.

maxresdefault.jpg

You have a rear jacking point and a front jacking point .. they look the same .. you would jack it up on the front one and it will lift the rear as well .. how high i cant say as i dont know how high your car is atm ..

If i cant get a car on my ramp as its too low .. i jack at the front to get the rear up enough to get the ramp legs under .. thats what i was thinking for you .

Front point is behind the n/s/f wheel , rear is in front of the n/s/r wheel

Demort said:
You have a rear jacking point and a front jacking point .. they look the same .. you would jack it up on the front one and it will lift the rear as well .. how high i cant say as i dont know how high your car is atm ..

If i cant get a car on my ramp as its too low .. i jack at the front to get the rear up enough to get the ramp legs under .. thats what i was thinking for you .

Okay, I'll give that a go in the daylight tomorrow :oops:

take a block of wood and another jack and put it on the solid metal part about 6 inches inside from the wheel

we've all done it...heres when i had the same problem

Attachments

• oilchange_129.jpg
    oilchange_129.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 4,985
Demort said:

Okay, I'll give that a go in the daylight tomorrow :oops:

DerbyJim said:
Seriously? And how much damage to the sills will that do?!!

So long as you haven't got plastic side sills, non. You're only lift enough to get the jack out. The rear wheel and suspension will still be taking a lot of the weight. Plus the fact you're dispersing the load over a 5" wide wooden surface.

I like Alexs idear .. and yup it would work if done on the jacking point .. id hate to slip off the plank when it was up though .. think of the rebound and where it would go .. ouch !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back