Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A/C pipe split engine out to fix

Phil 997

Le Mans
I have lost my Ac and the feed pipe that runs under the car has corroded at the point where it comes out from under the cars under cowel and goes up over the axle. I have had an opc quote of over 2k+vat an indy quote of £1200+vat and my local guy who is a mobile Porsche tech has said about £800 which inc £270 for both the pipes, the other prices were for just the leaking pipe. But I might as well do both while I am at it. It is an engine drop to do it seems hence the cost. I was just wondering if anyone else had done similar and found any shortcuts as the bulk of the cost is the Labour involved to drop the engine out. any thoughts or idea appreciated as I can pass them on to the tech and maybe save a few quid. :thumb: :thumb:

If you find a short cut then let me know .. if its the pipes im thinking of then im afraid i dont know a way .. thats what i was on about what was it .. 6 monthes ago .. maybe longer .. car that lived by the sea had them rot out at the clamps we had to drop the engine ..

When its done and engine out Phil then get them to waxoil every pipe there please as i know you are closeish to the sea.

Thanks Iain, I will get it treated after reassembly , funny I remember your thread and it crossed my mind it was the same thing. the downside of living by the sea,but would rather replace the ac pipes regularly than live in a smelly old city :grin: thanks for re affirming that there probably isn't a short cut at least I wont be upset to find out after that I could have saved money :thumb: :thumb:

I can't believe that this couldn't be fixed with a couple of fittings and some new pipe but where is the thing.

Maybe worth a call to a company that does hydraulic pipe repairs but then probably only doable if you can gain access .

As said Phil get some dinitrol protection on the new pipe work and perhaps the brake lines when the motor is dropped.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-c...VM4k1cTNbb_AIYOUhEle2Y5nfWa7XY3NggBoCCeHw_wcB

Don't know if it is the same pipe but I had one of my A/C pipes repaired last year.
It was one of the pipes that run along the side sill. It should have been a costly repair but the guys at Pie Performance managed to cut the pipe and put in a new section without replacing the whole pipe.
I would imagine the pipes are similar on a 997.

May be worthwhile asking Pie what equipment they used.

Hope this helps.

Access is the key here to any repair and where it fails then there just isnt any im afraid .. cant say its the same place as the last one i did but either way .. you just cant get at much of the pipes :(

Just bury every other pipe in waxoil whilst its out .. coolant pipes can go the same way .

Thanks Kev I will look at the dinitrol products as a future preventative not seen them before. :thumb:

Stew I was hoping it would be split along the straight bit you mention as that was going to be much cheaper but unfortunately its at the point where it goes up and over the rear axle on its way to the engine bay area so the only way to get at it is it seems to drop the engine to get at that area. but thanks for your thoughts :thumb: :grin:

Hope it's fixed for Germany mate or it will be Betty swollocks in those tight leather outfits ;)

KJD said:
Hope it's fixed for Germany mate or it will be Betty swollocks in those tight leather outfits ;)

Kev its booked in for early March with Germany and lederhosen in mind :floor: have you ordered your lederhosen .I have found them in my size and turbo jims on it too :grin: :grin:

Ive not much idea what the access is like and where the hose is split but it might be worth looking at replacing with stainless steel braid hoses, it just so happens i work for a company that can supply them :)

Kev M said:
Ive not much idea what the access is like and where the hose is split but it might be worth looking at replacing with stainless steel braid hoses, it just so happens i work for a company that can supply them :)

Kev thats very interesting as its a flex hose and not solid pipe it might be able to get in there without dropping the engine. Would you mind if my tech called you to discuss the option if you dont mind can you PM me your number . thanks. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
KJD said:

Kev its booked in for early March with Germany and lederhosen in mind :floor: have you ordered your lederhosen .I have found them in my size and turbo jims on it too :grin: :grin:

Funnily enough no I've not ordered one :hand:

KJD said:
Phil 997 said:
KJD said:

Funnily enough no I've not ordered one :hand:

why not mate if I can wear leather waltons shorts then so should you and you can reuse yours for walking those Welsh mountains rounding up the sheep :floor: :floor:

Kev M said:
Can you get some photos?

email them to me see if we can sort something

Kev PM sent mate :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back