Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Glass headlamp lenses - refurbish or replace?

ARP

Spa-Francorchamps
Can the 993 headlamp lenses be polished to remove stone chipping and restore some clarity? Or, failing that method, can the lenses be changed without going to the expense of changing the entire headlamp unit?

Mine are along way from perfect.

ARP said:
Can the 993 headlamp lenses be polished to remove stone chipping and restore some clarity? Or, failing that method, can the lenses be changed without going to the expense of changing the entire headlamp unit?

Mine are along way from perfect.

I bought a DA glass Polishing kit which made the glass a little brighter but wont remove chips. I bought a set of lenses from Eurocarparts when they had a sale on. Pretty decent price. They dont offer them much nowdays so may pay to get a price from OPC or the Porsche parts suppliers on here. Very easy DIY fix. You dont actually realise how bad they are until you put new lenses on! And to confirm yes lenses only, no need to replace the housing.

Replaced mine recently and it made a huge difference, new plastic section inside the headlight helping as much as the new glass.

For the money - when I did mine - replacing both clear lenses is worth it. Porsche might suddenly double the price and put them in rear reflector territory.

gunner said:
Replaced mine recently and it made a huge difference, new plastic section inside the headlight helping as much as the new glass.

Where did you source the internal reflectors?, did you buy Bosch lenses?.

Cheers
Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
gunner said:

Where did you source the internal reflectors?, did you buy Bosch lenses?.

Cheers
Trev

Not referring to the mirrored section, just the transparent plastic that is attached to the glass and sits at the bottom of the light. Mine were very yellow.

I'd also like to replace my lens but sourcing Bosch parts is a bit of a lark!
Eurocarparts are offering "OE" lens for £290 odd for the pair.
Other providers are as low as £130, but these could be pattern parts.
Has anyone bought a Bosch set for reasonable money recently?
Thanks!

Check eBay item number 371543226254

I replaced mine and they look so much better.

ballcock said:
Thanks!

Eurocarparts have them fot a kick off £200 as theres 30% off them today and their sister company carparts4less have them in for £200 as standard.

Of course, once you replace the headlight glass or plastic reflectors, then you'll want to replace the fog lights. Then the indicator units and side repeaters... then the rear reflector.. and rear side light clusters.

And you've just dropped 2k plus fitting :roll:

Mike-M said:
ballcock said:
Thanks!

Eurocarparts have them fot a kick off £200 as theres 30% off them today and their sister company carparts4less have them in for £200 as standard.

Thanks Mike ..
Tho, point well made and taken Matty.. HMMM.
maybe I should avoid starting down that greasy pole. My lens are really not bad at all, I'm not sure I'll even see a difference with the new ones.

Sorry, crappy hotel WIFI double post syndrome!

ballcock said:
Mike-M said:
ballcock said:
Thanks!

Thanks Mike ..
Tho, point well made and taken Matty.. HMMM.
maybe I should avoid starting down that greasy pole. My lens are really not bad at all, I'm not sure I'll even see a difference with the new ones.

Hahah take what I said with a pinch of salt, although you can certainly go down that route if you wanted!

I recently replaced the headlight lenses and fogs. It really neatened up the front end. I didn't do the indicator units or side repeaters as my car, being a C2, has ambers; these don't discolour terribly nor do they show their age quite as much as the clear components.

I've left the rear light clusters and reflector as, understandably, these items don't get the battering of their more prominent relatives up front.

I got a good deal in the January sale from Euro Car Parts (they still have a discount going on I think). There are also eBay sellers offering excellent prices (I believe these are genuine Porsche item too).

Go on, treat yourself mate!

Ha! .. agreed there are some great prices on eBay but I was assuming they were used items. The trick is knowing which are new OE lenses.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back