Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted: Pre-Made replacement brake lines

Zub-911

Silverstone
Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone making up hard brake line sets for the 996?
Or any companies who will do this..

Thanks,

Neil

The only people who come to mind ar Automec.

You will need to give them a call though and ask.

Was watching CAR S.O.S last night and they created a set for a 1964 Classic Lancia.

Good luck.
Shaun

Yeah Automec should be able to help you, they have plans for most cars I think.

If you're changing your brake lines its also well worth using their silicone brake fluid. It isn't hygroscopic and never needs replacing, plus it doesn't damage paint work.

http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/brake-fluid

jpsh120 said:
Yeah Automec should be able to help you, they have plans for most cars I think.

If you're changing your brake lines its also well worth using their silicone brake fluid. It isn't hygroscopic and never needs replacing, plus it doesn't damage paint work.

http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/brake-fluid

Oh, I have emailed them about a 996 kit and potential for group buy offer..
Very interested in that brakefluid.. I wonder if anyone is using it ?

SILICONE BASED BRAKE FLUID:

This type of fluid is non-hydroscopic, meaning it does not absorb any water. Often used in classic and vintage cars and military type vehicles because silicone based brake fluid will not corrode internal brake parts nor will it damage paint work. An added bonus when used in some show cars.

This type of fluid is more compressible and can give the driver a feeling of a spongy pedal.

Silicone based brake fluid has not been developed for, or intended for, use in race applications.

Del.

I'd advise against Dot 5 silicone based fluid. Some idiot had previously put it in my car, was a very chewy job getting shot of it all and replacing with 5.1 but managed it eventually.

Your OPC will provide new pipes, or your Indy might knock some up for you. I bought the 2 rear over engine pipes for mine recently for around £100 IIRC.

Edit: Dot 5 is not miscible with glycol based fluids either, never mix them.

A better explanation ;

Air Solubility

Silicone fluid will absorb more air because there is more 'room" between the molecules that make up the fluid. The term 'dissolved air" (air absorbed from the atmosphere) should not be confused with the term 'entrapped" or 'free air" since their effects on brake system performance can be entirely different. Air that has been absorbed from the atmosphere does not result in an increase in fluid or system volume, whereas entrapped air or free air does occupy system volume and can be easily compressed when force is applied to the system.

Compressibility

Because of the dissolved air, silicone fluids are up to three times more compressible than glycol based fluids. This can contribute to a slightly spongy feeling brake pedal, particularly near the higher end of their temperature range but well below the dry boiling point. While this is of absolutely no consequence for normal street use, this is why silicone fluids are not used in race cars. A spongy pedal makes it difficult to modulate the brake pressure under racing conditions.

For what it's worth, I've been using it for a while in my classic with no issue. Pedal feels no different to when I used to use standard fluid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back