Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery / starting issues - anyone tried battery brain?

Ian_B

Hi all

2003 996 C4S. Had a brand new Bosch battery 12 months ago. When used regularly is fine, 13-14v on the dash ammeter and starts fine.

I keep the car in an underground car park so unfortunately neither trickle charger nor solar charger an option to keep topped up. No power socket nor daylight!

If I leave it for 2 weeks or more battery is too flat to start. I gather this is normal for most 911s of 'modern' generations? Or do I possibly have a parasitic drain somewhere?

Sometimes it will start with a boost pack but this time is so flat even with that its just clicking - starter doesn't engage and engine isn't turning over. I'm taking the battery out of the car to charge it at home tonight.

Anyway I think I need an isolator as this is a repetitive issue for me.

Has anyone tried Battery Brain?

http://www.batterybrain.co.uk/shop/

I quite like the idea of the remote version, as otherwise I'll need to leave the frunk/froot ajar which even though the car park is 'secure' isn't ideal.

Interested in any experience or other suggestions.

thanks

Big drain on first crank over, if I leave mine 4-5 days that first turning is slow and I wonder if she's going to fire up but afterwards fine.

Like you, my Bosch battery was brand new last February. Also like you, I no means to trickle charge it so keen to see some replies. In the meantime I'll just use my car more often.

I assume when the voltage drops to a certain amount it disconnects the battery ?

In that case if the car is locked the alarm will trigger .

If you can leave the car unlocked then a simple race key type should work .

996 and you need the ignition on if disconnecting the battery as the alarm will trigger even if not locked .

Something like this perhaps ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1619...=9045811&device=c&campaignid=738210941&crdt=0

4-5 days and theres a small drain there or insufficent chargeing .. 2 weeks .. in theory it should be ok but thats assumeing a good battery fully charged .. and at this time of year with lights / heaters on all the time then it will be down on charge / also an alternator will only ever charge a battery to about 80 % .

Thanks, no tracker that I know of.

Yes the battery brain auto disconnects if the voltage drops below a certain level (11.8v I think). The attraction to me is one model has a remote control so can be reconnected with the frunk shut. I would need to lock the car on the key and leave the alarm off.

For a manual disconnect I'll need to leave the frunk ajar otherwise I can't get back in to reconnect?

I used a battery brain on mine for a few months when I was having battery drain issues (heated seats in my case)

I've now removed it as my issues are gone, but they work pretty well - the remote one is the one I had too

Ian_B said:
Thanks, no tracker that I know of.

Yes the battery brain auto disconnects if the voltage drops below a certain level (11.8v I think). The attraction to me is one model has a remote control so can be reconnected with the frunk shut. I would need to lock the car on the key and leave the alarm off.

For a manual disconnect I'll need to leave the frunk ajar otherwise I can't get back in to reconnect?

Aghh i see , well if the alarm is not set and you can reconnect it remotely then it sounds fine to me :thumb:

I was more concerned about the alarm tripping when it disconnected :)

Judder said:
I used a battery brain on mine for a few months when I was having battery drain issues (heated seats in my case)

Heated seats caused a discharge ?

Do tell please .. was it a short as if not switched on i was unaware they could do that .. if that does happen then i need to add it to my list of items to check as its a new one on me :)

Demort said:
Judder said:

Heated seats caused a discharge ?

Do tell please .. was it a short as if not switched on i was unaware they could do that .. if that does happen then i need to add it to my list of items to check as its a new one on me :)

Yes very strange I agree!

In theory, and in line with any electronics I have ever worked on, with the ignition off this should kill the heated seats.

When Porschtek were working on the car they did mention they hadn't seen seats of this type before in this car so perhaps they are modified as the switch on the dash doesn't turn them off but the switches on the side of the seats do

Here's a photo to show the switch on the seats and the seats themselves

PassengerSeat2.jpg

Aghh bless you , i understand now .. i was thinking the factory system .. that looks non standard and may well have a permanent feed instead of an ignition setup..

The seats dont look standard but do look pretty good it looks like they are fully electric but with a manual seat forward slider setup which is a bit confuseing lol .

Demort said:
The seats dont look standard but do look pretty good it looks like they are fully electric but with a manual seat forward slider setup which is a bit confuseing lol .

Yes, the seats are actually pretty amazing

They are very similar to the 996 sports seats and also have the same hard backs, but as you say have a manual slide and fully electric position adjust

My Porsche Certificate of Authenticity just says Heated Seats and Leather Sports Seats

I think someone before me spent quite a bit of money on this car but I didn't get all the history so don't have the full story unluckily!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back