Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty AFTER rebuild ?

huntert

Silverstone
Hi guys,
Just put a deposit on a 997.1 C4S coupe. Its a "56" 2007 car so im assuming the IMS bearing should be the uprated one, its also had a rebuild by Hartech with 3 cylinders being relined. (this was done less than 2 years ago). Its a Tip so over revving shouldnt be an issue. Its covered 81k.
My question is, should i invest in a warranty? (such as the Hartech service plan) or should i just put a few £ away each month incase anything does go wrong?
I think that the major issues have been rectified by Hartech already but what are the chances of a re-occurrence?
What are your thoughts?

If you're reasonably local to Hartech and they will accept you car onto their service plan I'd go that route.

Their SP differs from a warranty in that you get something for your money even if you don't have a big issue.

:yeah:

Im not actually sure what the service plan covers..is it parts and labour? I believe its £86 a month, if the car only requires a service every 2 years...thats an expensive service.

It's all labour, for pretty much anything, services included I think. Their website has all the details 👍

MJA911 said:
It's all labour, for pretty much anything, services included I think. Their website has all the details 👍

So unlike a warranty, if something major lets go...i would still be responsible for the price of the parts..ie a piston or a cam etc.....

Yes, I believe so, it's a different approach compared to a warranty. The idea being that through the care and preventative nature of the maintenance plan, which I believe includes an annual service and MOT, the car is kept in good shape, but if something goes wrong, the labour is covered, I think the labour for wear and tear and even consumable component replacement is covered too. It's all clear enough on their site.

It's a different approach and in my view a very good one. I've always had a warranty and have no complaints as they have paid 2-3 times more than the premiums I've paid, but if I was more local to Hartech I would seriously consider joining their plan.

Yeah ive had a look on their site and Baz from Hartech posts on PH. Im still unsure of the best route to go as im not sure if the rebuild from Hartech would invalidate a warranty as the liners they fit (although better) are not a Porsche part.

Before spending any money, it might be advisable to speak to Hartech about the car as they will tell you what the work covered and what they did not change.

I've found when buying my car, speaking to people who have done maintenance on the car in the past they are usually helpful. I've also returned the favour and given them business.

For a Porsche Warranty, non-Porsche liners has got to be a problem, even if they would cover all parts not directly related to the engine, what's the point in having no cover for that?! Might be different with a 3rd party warranty, you'd need to tell them up front and see. I've had Porsche Warranty and also Warranty Direct, both very good, but as you'd expect Warranty Direct are not so strict about minor mods so I'm with them at the moment, but non-Porsche liners might not be so simple.

From what you've said, I'd be following previous posters advice and get in touch with Hartech.

I phoned Hartech and was told they dont reveal what work has been carried out due to data protection...this isnt an issue as the seller has the invoice from Hartech.
Im more worried about the rebuild failing...i cant find any data out there about Hartech rebuild failure rates...or how long they are good for etc.
Im also a little uneasy that the IMS wasnt replaced as "that year car IMS isnt a problem"

I don't recall any examples of Hartech's rebuilds failing being posted on here, their research and engineering reputation is behind fixing the issues that causes cylinder failures on certain engines, so that would be a surprise to say the least.

Therefore I wouldn't be as concerned about the Hartech liners as much as I would ensuring that the other bank was benefiting from basic preventative measures such as the low cost thermostat (which I would have thought is already in there given Hartech have done that work on the engine already), annual oil changes and and warming up with care etc.

You're right, the post 2005 IMS is a better bet than previous so I doubt very much that a rebuild would include replacing that unless it had a problem.

We're all different, but if I was in your shoes I would find the Hartech maintenance plan a pretty compelling proposition. If not I would take the well known preventative steps and consider funding a repair pot at say £100 a month.

My concern would be if Hartech undertook a rebuild but the customer elected just to have the bare minimum done and not other items that would be deemed prudent by Hartech to replace.

Whilst Hartech do not wish to divulge full details of specific rebuilds, which they have undertaken, an approach which may reveal more information would be to ask whether Hartech would be prepared to offer their warranty without exclusions on the engine that they rebuilt, assuming it checked out at their warranty inspection.

Pops said:
My concern would be if Hartech undertook a rebuild but the customer elected just to have the bare minimum done and not other items that would be deemed prudent by Hartech to replace.

Whilst Hartech do not wish to divulge full details of specific rebuilds, which they have undertaken, an approach which may reveal more information would be to ask whether Hartech would be prepared to offer their warranty without exclusions on the engine that they rebuilt, assuming it checked out at their warranty inspection.

They dont do warranties, they do a service plan......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back