Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starter

SaintsPaul

Nurburgring
Recently had my C2 serviced by my local indy and they have informed me that my starter is on its last legs.
I have had a quick look at the manual I have and it looks a real bitch of a job to replace.
I am pretty handy with the spanners but think this may be a job for my indy.
Anybody tried the job or anybody had theirs done by their indy and what was the financial damage ?
Thanks in advance

Just done it - am on my way out will post later on.

Del.

Its really not that bad, just need a couple very long extension bars for the sockets, there are plenty of online instructions to follow as well, and gives you a chance to remove and clean the throttle body which is a good thing to do from time to time anyway.

I would allow an hr to get the old one out, 30 mins to clean everything and 30 mins to reassemble.

You do however end up feeling like a gynaecologist the whole time you are doing it....

There is nothing difficult about changing the starter although it is a bit fiddly mainly because it is just a bit awkward to get at, there are plenty of online instructions and you need a socket set with some extensions and a universal joint, the lower mounting bolt is a bit difficult to get at but once you have removed the bolts and actually removed the starter it becomes a bit clearer of what goes where and how to deal with it when you come to re-fit the motor.

As you are trying to get on bolts that are difficult to see tape the sockets on to the extensions you use so there is no chance of a socket coming off and ending up where you can`t see it.

Mine was getting sluggish when trying to start on occasion it wouldn`t turn it over at all unless you turned the key off and re-tried anyway as the starter is a fairly simple affair a good clean out and re-grease and a set of brushes was all it needed and its easy enough to test off the car to ensure its working OK.

If your not happy going that far then its just a straight replacement motor but watch out for the cheap Chinese motors though they apparently don`t last for long.

Del.

Double check your garage know what they're on about 1st though. A mis-diagnosed 'starter on its way out' could easily be poor battery performance or engine earth strap.

Delanor said:
There is nothing difficult about changing the starter although it is a bit fiddly mainly because it is just a bit awkward to get at, there are plenty of online instructions and you need a socket set with some extensions and a universal joint, the lower mounting bolt is a bit difficult to get at but once you have removed the bolts and actually removed the starter it becomes a bit clearer of what goes where and how to deal with it when you come to re-fit the motor.

As you are trying to get on bolts that are difficult to see tape the sockets on to the extensions you use so there is no chance of a socket coming off and ending up where you can`t see it.

Mine was getting sluggish when trying to start on occasion it wouldn`t turn it over at all unless you turned the key off and re-tried anyway as the starter is a fairly simple affair a good clean out and re-grease and a set of brushes was all it needed and its easy enough to test off the car to ensure its working OK.

If your not happy going that far then its just a straight replacement motor but watch out for the cheap Chinese motors though they apparently don`t last for long.

Del.

Cheers Del
Will take a look at this when I get a free weekend

alex yates said:
Double check your garage know what they're on about 1st though. A mis-diagnosed 'starter on its way out' could easily be poor battery performance or engine earth strap.

Cheers Alex.
It is a well respected indy and he knew exactly how the starter would behave when the car was warm .
He did mention there is a lead associated with the starter that runs over the gearbox and is known to fail over time. Trouble is the gearbox needs to come out to replace it !!

SaintsPaul said:
alex yates said:

Cheers Alex.
It is a well respected indy and he knew exactly how the starter would behave when the car was warm .
He did mention there is a lead associated with the starter that runs over the gearbox and is known to fail over time. Trouble is the gearbox needs to come out to replace it !!

That may be the case but you can create your own earth lead by earthing the engine to either chassis or neutral on your battery. This would either prove or eliminate it could be that lead and save a lot of time and expense. Although I'd a thought a good Indy would've already done that :dont know:

You can check the existing earth lead connection on the O/S of the engine - undo it and make sure it is clean and making a good contact.

Del.

Finally got round to replacing my starter today.
It is a bitch of a job and you need long arms and lots of extensions.
I took 3 hrs to complete the task but that did involve going to Halfords to buy some more socket extensions :nooo:
The plus side is the car now starts perfectly.
This is the 1st car job I have done in a very long time and feel quite satisfied I have managed it.
Now, lets start that engine rebuild :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back