Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Parrot MKi9200

tyinsky

parrot_mki9200-det.png

Anyone got one of these fitted? How is it? What's the install like?

I want to get my calls to come through without having to use the phone itself for obvious reasons, but also like the idea of being able to play music from my phone/Spotify through the existing and original Porsche/Becker(?) head unit. The Parrot seems a reasonably neat solution and could replace an out-of-date Harmon Kardon iPod interface that is currently fitted to my car which is reasonably discrete. One reservation I have is that this unit has been out a while now and I would of thought a company like Parrot would have released something else given the years it has been available. Looking for opinions.

There is also a MKi9100 unit with an even smaller interface screen. Perhaps better in someways?

PARROT2.png

Have also considered the Porsche Classic unit but to be honest it seems a waste to me as the sat nav will be gash and I'll still want to use Google Maps on my iPhone.

1045132d1461708390-new-porsche-classic-radio-img_2706.jpg

The Sony RSX-GS9 high resolution media player but being sensible, it would be pointless in the 993 as I'm not going to upgrade the speakers any further and add weight. Looks great though.

g158RSXGS9-F.jpg

From reading related threads, the Becker Grand Prix seems a popular choice for this, but is it better than the Parrot solution for what I need to do (answer calls and stream music)? Surely technology has moved on from this unit?

IMG_4201.jpg

Who has what?

I had the Parrot MKi9200 in my last car and it worked very well for telephone calls but the Bluetooth audio playback was terrible, I hope thats of some use.

It does help thanks. Was there an option to plug the phone directly in rather than Bluetooth it? Shame the playback quality is poor :(

Not that i was aware of, purely Bluetooth afaik.

How about one of the Continental head units? Bluetooth phone, A2DP streaming, AUX input and USB memory stick playback. Three models are available:
-FM/AM unit (7412)
-FM/AM and CD player (7416)
-FM/AM, CD and DAB+ tuner (7418)
I also stock a large range of bespoke harnesses to ease the installation in Porsche classic cars as well as memory stick and a PORSCHE sticker for a OEM look of the units.
Cheers,
Tore

conti_7412_2_1.jpg

cdd7418ub-or_2.jpg

Alternative which works with any head unit and covers DAB, music and calls.

OUwZWic.png

You could fit a little unit that emulates the multi disc CD player. Plugs into the CD player socket on the back of your head unit and streams Bluetooth from your 'phone.
I have the Loudlink unit that comes with microphone for Bluetooth 'phone calls, streams music and can also play music from a micro SD card. Nothing is visible except the microphone. Other brands are available of course. :lol:

There is a reason the Becker units, which can only be purchased used, are £300 plus. They look OEM and the quality is top drawer. The Porsche branded unit does not look period in a 911. I can't speak to the quality or how usable it is but aesthetically imho it looks wrong.

I have that Parrot in my daily. It works well and streams music from my phone in great quality. Looks gash for a 993 as does anything that isn't Becker.

highway said:
There is a reason the Becker units, which can only be purchased used, are £300 plus. They look OEM and the quality is top drawer. The Porsche branded unit does not look period in a 911. I can't speak to the quality or how usable it is but aesthetically imho it looks wrong.

I have that Parrot in my daily. It works well and streams music from my phone in great quality. Looks gash for a 993 as does anything that isn't Becker.

I think the Becker looks 'gash'. VDO or Blaupunkt much better.

Becker made the factory
cd-21 units onwards for Porsche hence the Grand Prix, Cascade etc have the same family oem appearance and layout. The other units imho look what they are- non oem aftermarket. Fine if your OCD can deal.

Surely full OCD would require the original unit, not simply the same brand?

Also, some 993 were optioned with Blaupunkt so no issue there.

Blaupunkt even have the same mounting holes as the AC control unit so fit even better to my eye.

Installed the MKi9200 yesterday. Still need to attache the microphone, controls and fix the screen in place but the hard bit is done with the wiring.

Not really too concerned with it being non-period.The car had a Harmon Kardon iPod interface installed that also had a screen when I bought it, and this new thing fits exactly where that was.

Will report back on whether it is any good (or not) when i have had time to assess it over a decent road trip. :)

Pictures to follow.

Tore I think your head fits very nicely with the 993 panel.
How do the internals compare to the Becker units?

I would rate the overall quality of the Continental head units to be quite similar to the Beckers. However, the functions and connections are not as sophisticated as in the Becker head units, but this is reflected in the pricing.
Most Beckers have line outputs, the Continentals have speaker outputs only.
Sound quality is in my ears the same, but I had no chance to do a real comparison since the change took a couple of hours.
I've had a Grand Prix for years and loved it, especially due to the Porsche OEM look and graphic display.
I changed to the Conti 7418 due to the more modern A2DP BT interface and USB memory stick port. I also wanted the DAB+ radio since we are shutting down the FM band in Norway this year. I made a LOC harness to get the line outputs I needed to my existing external amplifier.
Cheers,
Tore

ToreB said:
...I made a LOC harness to get the line outputs I needed to my existing external amplifier...

That allows you to connect the Continental into a regular AMP, correct? Does it also allow you to plug in a sub-woofer?

I ask because - obviously - I have an amp and sub and would consider a switch to the Continental (currently non-Illuminati approved Kenwood).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back