Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS Bearing.

nant

Monza
Hi folks, just fitted a top notch bearing and modified fitting kit for the IMS to my spare engine and works a treat. I have all the bits and pieces made-up by 2 local engineering firms. Mounting plate/carrier made/ modified, can be altered for seperate oil feed if needed, beefed-up spindle assembly and various spacers for which ever bearing to be used, ie single or dual row ball type or even the roller type. If anyones interested give me a shout, fraction of the cost for what ive seen elsewhere of other kits. :thumb:

Afraid not Chris, prototype fitted now. When next kit made hopefully photos then of all components. :bye:

Good one Nant

There really is no mystique about doing something like this, use the cash saved for a set of tyres or new rads or something
:thumb:

Great stuff, but sureley the problem is the bearing that can not withstand the force applied on it. The answer is to surely fit a stronger (bigger) bearing?

Personally I'd be looking at housing the biggest possible ball bearing within the space allocated, i.e. ims/housing diameters. :dont know:

ps. I own my own engineering shop and can carry out any machining requirements :lol: :thumb:

Very interesting.. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Also as Alex says, can the std bearing be swapped for something bigger.
Does anyone have the dimensions of the bearing or a code so we can look into a more robust alternative.
/N

Hi Alex, wished i would of took photos now so people could of compared the 2
Its not the bearing at fault here its the enviroment it lives in and the way its mounted. Like you have said, a bigger bearing would be better anyway but there is a large range of different bearings for this app which are way up for the job.Lube is the answer here, different ways again. The mounting /spigot shaft is very weak and this as been BEEFED-UP considerably and with no groove machined in it for the O ring/seal. Flange is machined to take the larger spigot shaft or/and ones being made with a oil gallery built in so that the bearing can have a direct oil feed to it. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

I'm totally aware of all the faults in that area, like the undercut in the spigot and the diameter of it too small, etc. but the force exerted on the bearing is still too much, hence the only bearing that didn't pack up was the last revision they did in the 997 (the upgraded one that Hartech sell).

Quite naive to think that the bearing doesn't play a part in it's failure.

Dammit said:
I thought the dual row design was pretty sturdy?

It is but you can't get them anymore.

Nant,
Could these engineering companies do an equivalent to the 997 IMS, I wonder? Perhaps incorporate the improvements you've come up with and improve the design (to 997 standard) as well, for the best possible solution?

I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of us who would be interested in that!

EGTE said:
Nant,
Could these engineering companies do an equivalent to the 997 IMS, I wonder? Perhaps incorporate the improvements you've come up with and improve the design (to 997 standard) as well, for the best possible solution?

I'm sure there's a hell of a lot of us who would be interested in that!

Hartech sell an 'off the shelf' improved IMS already, which IMHO is the best on the market.

Alex i disagree that the brg is not up to it, it is, like isaid LUBE problems. Also i can get different TYPE brgs for this APP and the DUAL ROW TYPE is available. I do agree though with you ,BEEFING-UP the brg would be an improvment also. Only way like you have said ,go the Hartech route with a larger IMS. :bye:

I'd be informing Baz at Hartech if you can source the dual row. He'd be very interested in sourcing them.

Bigger bearing takes you 100 yards from the cliff edge. Standard bearing is fine in a perfect world.........but we all know the world's not perfect.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back