Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HEADLAMP WASHERS ISSUE

Stever845

Hi guys,
I have a 2005 911 997s and everything works perfect apart from the headlamp washers. Ive tried them with the headlights on using the correct small button underneath the stalk nothing happens . Ive done the 10 times plus windscreen washers(which are fine) still nothing. Ive checked the fuse its fine ,I've even had the motor out and it works fine with an external power source . Basically its not getting any power to it , the wiring i can see looks good admittedly i haven't done a continuity check didn't want to start digging too deep if i don't have to. I was thinking of getting a stalk ,are they easy to swap.
Any ideas appreciated.

I think I've tried the headlamp washer on my car maybe 3 times since I've owned it. I'm not sure if this is correct but I get the impression my hl washers only seem to work when the car is in motion.

yep I've tried that also with no luck but thanks

when i had an issue (well actually i didn't press the correct button) i was told this can drop off the coding if you have changed your battery etc - have you done anything since they last worked ?

Ive only had the car 9 months and i don't think they have ever worked, just decided to see if i can sort them and no the battery has not been disconnected during my ownership .

I had my local Snap-On guy try out his diagnostic tool om my 997.1 and he could make pretty much everything operate from his pad, including the headlamp washers ....... which sprayed washer fluid all over my recently polished car :sad:

If you know a local mechanic that uses their equipment it may be worth a check to see if they will actually work ...... he also got my engine compartment fan to operate as I had never heard it cut in despite a charge up an alpine pass in 30* heat.

Yeh i have a feeling it just needs reactivating somehow, I probably won't use it much if at all it just bugs me as the car is mint and everything else works.

Haveing to think a bit here .. steering colum sends a can bus message to the front end control unit to operate the headlamp washers , so if definetly no feed or earth to the pump .. and i would check it here as the cu sends an earth so if no feed then its a wiring fault , fuse etc then a continuity check is in order .

Check which you are missing at the pump .. if a feed then ill look through some wiring diagrams .. pump is what normally fails though .

Software in the front end cu is possible but let me know what you actually have at the pump first please .

I'm no expert ,all i did to test the pump was a 12v feed from a battery whilst removed and it was fine. To test the supply to the pump i wired in 12v bulb which didn't light up with headlights on and button pushed. The fuse is fine removed and tested it externally .

Maybe a silly suggestion comment but do they not only work when the lights are on? Additionally I seem to remember on BMWs you wash your screen three times and the fourth wash then did the headlights too. Not sure about Porsche. My 996 sertainly does not have a separate button just for headlights.

Pip

Whilst the lamps are on, the lamp washers will operate every tenth windscreen wash (of any duration).

There is also a direct wash option on the 997 (to save waiting) by using button on stalk (again, only whilst lamps are on):

Attachments

• img_7806_198.png
    img_7806_198.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 5,566
Yeh I said earlier ive always had the headlights on when trying and tried the normal washers well over 10 times also . This all in my initial post lol .
Thanks anyway

In case I inadvertently caused offence, my post was in reply to Pip

Like wise hope i didnt sound snappy .No offence taken , im well impressed with all the responses, happy days :)

Hi seen this for a few days now, my first port of call would be to see if the washer motor is running for the lights. I'm pretty sure it's located in the N/S wing, it's an easy job to jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove the inner wing (bit fiddly as there are 3-4 hex screws underneath the car). Once you've done this you will see the tube that goes up behind the headlight.
This tube is also accessible if you remove the front headlight unit, you do this by opening the 'frunk' and pulling back the carpet to reveal a rubber bung, get a 5mm deep socket on a thin extension (tip here tape the socket to the extension!) twist the 5mm nut and that releases the headlight unit in one go.
You might just have blocked pipes, if the motor runs and no water comes out disconnect the washer pipe by removing the blue clip that holds the pipe together behind the headlight, run it again and see if water gushes out.
It's all just a process of elimination but first thing check the pumps running.
I've seen the washer fluid congeal in the pipes through lack of use, it goes like frogspawn and blocks the pipe.
Let us know how you get on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back