Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Completely dead battery 997.1 C4S - CTEK Charger

ARP

Spa-Francorchamps
Looking for some help...came to turn over the 997.1 C4S which has been on a CTEk trickle charger for a few months, and it is completely dead. No power to the car, manual unlock doors etc, no alarm.

Switched this charger to my newer CTEK MXS 5.0 charger, plugged it all in & through the lighter socket, hoping to be able to get some charge back into the battery. The charger power light comes on but it does not enter into the normal charging programme.

Is this because the battery is totally dead? I expected to be able to at least get enough charge into the battery to get the frunk open & get at the battery.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds like one charger has died and the other won't recover the battery. You might have some luck with the battery disconnected from the car and the charger in regenerate mode. I have had rwo cteks fail.

MC

Thanks MC,

I know the MXS 5.0 is working fine - it's been keeping the 993's battery perfectly over the winter. I've switched the older CTEK to that car, and it seems OK, but it doesn't give near as much information as to where it's at with the charging cycle.

Can the charger be used to open the frunk via the footwell fusebox? Or do I need a battery - the access is not great to try & get some jump leads in from another car.

Has trickle charging worked before? I only say this because my 997.1 never charged thought the cigarette lighter - direct connection to battery only... CTEK would light up and then do sod all... In my 997.2 the footwell lighter socket works fine to charge and trickle charge.

If you can get the car door open you can charge the battery or power it from the fuse box to get the frunk open...

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&sour...ggkMAI&usg=AFQjCNHSWNZNeBt_v9u_N-CX3NCc18Q6Hg

Page 260.....

My ctek once didn't charge, I disconnected the battery charged it with a general charger for an hour, put the ctek back on and it's been fine ever since.

Starting to doubt the cigarette lighter connection method, although it has seemed fine in the past. The 993 has a comfort connection direct to the battery - i think I will do the same connection in the 997 when I get this sorted out.

I need to work out the best way to get the frunk open - can I use the CTEk with crocodile clips, or possible a battery booster/starter?

My 997.1 tt was flat after its winter hibernation.
CTEK via the cigarette lighter in passenger footwell worked for me.

I think you need a battery booster or battery.
Alternatively for me when the battery is dead like that it might be time for a new one?
If so you can use the new one via the fuse box to get the frunk open?

First time I used a trickle charger on mine it killed the battery. It was then explained that it was an original OEM battery that was 3 years old and made of cheese. (Smelt like it anyway). New battery and all OK thereafter. No problem with the charger.

Is the battery a Porsche battery - Moll?

We had a Boxster on a CTEK and one day nothing, no warning etc, and the battery had just died. It had been on my mind to have it checked and possibly changed but.... That was a Moll.

I now periodically take the car off the CTEK and see what happens when the battery is left to its own devices for a few days to try and avoid the CTEK masking any underlying issues.

I'm sure it's a Bosch battery, and no more than 18 months old. The CTEK has done it's job fine until now.

I'm going to try & get my hands on a battery booster.

Be very careful connecting anything through the cigarette lighter socket which can supply very large amounts of current, you will blow the fuse in the socket and then you will have to go through the fuse connector. The problem you might end up with is that if the battery is completely dead but wants to take a lot of current, then you might struggle to get enough volts to power the boot / bonnet release.
I would be tempted to get another charger on there and leave it for some time, monitor the voltage on there and see what happens. Either way I strongly suspect that your current battery is FUBAR I'm afraid.
I had this problem on my turbo once, an absolute pain to sort out. That is why I am making sure on my C2 that I will be able to get in to the engine compartment with no power required, it is a very poor design IMO.

MC

@MC

Now there isn't much that can be done about the electric release button models (which by definition requires a battery), but I never understood the manual lever lock out.

If I break into a hatchback or any saloon with folding seats or ski hatch, the boot is compromised anyway.

Yet a 996 is still more secure as AFAIK you can't physically lift the levers with the door shut.

ie the door deadlock is all you need to be more secure than 90% of other cars (so even if window smashed, unless door can be un-deadlocked, you can't open boot anyway)

So why the electronic interlock :dont know:

had an issue with my alpina the other day...it was standing still for several months..

battery was completely flat..

the fuse kept blowing on my RAC charger...if there were no fuse the charger it self will blow and stop working..

i got around this by using jump leads to to charge the car for 10mins...started the car for 5min..

then switched off and plugged the charger back on..worked fine.

Borrowed a booster and easily got access to the frunk by using the button on the key fob to release. Hooked up the MXS 5.0 but nothingat all - so it looks like it's time for a new battery :x

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back