Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911

Scott.lindsay

Hi all, I am preparing to buy my first Porsche and want a 911. I have a budget of around 20k and want to limit any risk. What advise would you offer on what best to buy ?. I don't want much!!, but what's best value for money right now and what's appreciating ?. What's best reliability and affordability buy.. Any advice would really be much appreciated. Thanks.

:welcome: to 911uk Scott.

Well done for seeking advice before buying a car. :thumb:

There's plenty of 911s around for your budget but nearly all will be the variants of the 996 model so sadly that also means you will be taking a risk.

Read everything you can on here about the potential for bore-scoring and IMS bearing failures and what can be done to reduce either happening. Even then ....... it will be a bit of a lottery.

A good 996 is a great car and will always be a great car until it breaks. If you can get some decent years and/or miles out of one you buy without suffering major misfortune then :thumbs:

BUT You must go in with your eyes open.

The good news is that any car you find shouldn't go down in value as long as it's kept serviceable. Prices have risen by 20% in the last 3 years but seem to have peaked and plateaued so there's very few bargains or investments to be had nowadays.

If you decide to go ahead be prepared to be flexible on colour combo, buy on history and current condition rather than on age or mileage.

As always a proper Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) including a boroscope if possible is recommended.

Personally I'd be looking for as good a car as I can get for about £16k and leave the rest for making the car I buy better.

Good Luck :thumb:

Another option to limit risk is to buy one that has already had a rebuild by the likes of Hartech, Autofarm.

But really, get a pre purchase inspection as T8 says, service it regularly (none of this 2 years nonsense) with quality Millers oil and fit a low temperature thermostat and off you go.

You may also have read of IMS issues... these are relatively few and far between but for peace of mind, modifications can be made to reduce the risk of failure.

There is always some risk with any car.

This one caught my eye yesterday as a well maintained car with IMS upgrade etc, well within your budget, though it is an auto. https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/sales/vehicle/996-carrera-4/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back