Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vibration on the steering wheel?

searider

Silverstone
My new to me 996 C2 has some vibration on the steering wheel at motorway speed. I've had the front wheels balanced but this has made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Back wheels out of balance?

Worn bush somewhere?

Tyre pressures - set to factory recommended.

I can believe that it should be like this.

Could be uneven tyre wear or bulging sidewalls, also, have you checked the date of manufacture of all four tyres. They tend to go off from lack of use or over use (6 year life on tyres I believe).

You'd only feel steering wheel wobble through the front wheels but do check the above on the rear tyres too.

Tyres all early 2014 - but only 3000 miles since.
Maybe out of shape.

I guess check the rears first.

I can see me spending some £££ on some front tyres!

As said check the inside edges of the tyres for bulges too although if they are that new it is unlikely. If it is not suspension related then also worth checking it is not a sticky caliper causing it. Feel for equal amounts of heat on either disc (should be able to just hold your hand against the wheels spokes for any obvious difference.

Good luck.

Pip

Got the same issue on mine but only between 60-70 mph.

Had alignment checked, wheels balanced and tyre pressures checked. Beginning to think it may be tyres.

Check the tread profile... run your hand round the tyre in both directions, feeling for a 'sawtooth' profile caused by incorrect geometry. This can manifest in a vibration at speed.

First port of call should be having the wheel balances checked, with stick on weights these days it's entirely possible a weight or two has fallen off (especially if the fitter didn't clean the insides of the rims). Probably best to have them all checked though I suspect a front.

Next question would be have the wheels been referbished?

Let us know
:thumb:

Harv said:
First port of call should be having the wheel balances checked, with stick on weights these days it's entirely possible a weight or two has fallen off (especially if the fitter didn't clean the insides of the rims). Probably best to have them all checked though I suspect a front.

Next question would be have the wheels been referbished?

Let us know
:thumb:

Have had fronts balanced. Made no difference and the fitter commented that they were initially only about 5 grams out.

Nothing in the history about the wheels having been refurbished.

a warped brake disc can also cause this, worth getting the discs checked

Ok :sad:

Tyre wear maybe, after that is ruled out

Next port of call get the front wheels off and check the mounting face of the alloys where it contacts the disc, I've seen poorly referbished wheels where they powder coated this surface (no no no). You can run a sanding block across it with some 120 grit paper to check its clean and flat.

Following on from that, check the disc run out.

If all this is fails then you prob have a bush, ball joint or tie bar problem.

Any advisories on last MOT?

Harv said:
Ok :sad:

Tyre wear maybe, after that is ruled out

Next port of call get the front wheels off and check the mounting face of the alloys where it contacts the disc, I've seen poorly referbished wheels where they powder coated this surface (no no no). You can run a sanding block across it with some 120 grit paper to check its clean and flat.

Following on from that, check the disc run out.

If all this is fails then you prob have a bush, ball joint or tie bar problem.

Any advisories on last MOT?

No advisories on the MOT.

Thanks all, looks like I've got a couple of things to check - once the evenings get a little lighter!

Robertb said:
Check the tread profile... run your hand round the tyre in both directions, feeling for a 'sawtooth' profile caused by incorrect geometry. This can manifest in a vibration at speed.

Hmmm.

There is a slight sawtooth effect on the inner edges of both front tyres, pointing forwards.

I've had this on the rear tyres of front wheel drive cars before - my Corrado was terrible for doing it and my daily Volvo had worn winters that were out of shape.
In both cases I got a buzzing noise at speed rather than a vibration though. (Although noted that this was on the rear and not the front)

So, I guess a geometry check is worth having done anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theitalian06
Back