Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone running a 2011-12 987 Cayman R?

MaxA

Magny-Cours
I may need to downbudget for my move back to Europe, so I'm considering an R, as it is a lot cheaper to import.

If - and obviously this is a big if, I'm basically just wondering - I was in the market for a Cayman R, what should I be looking for? Are these regularly copied? I had a quick look around my local internet sources for R's but they don't seem to come with the proper 997 GT2 seats, the 19" Spyder rims, and so on... who'd order a lightweight car with fat bastard Turbo rims and comfort seats?

Did anyone actually order these without radio/satnav/aircon, or the lithium ion battery, ceremics, PSE? What can you do if they didn't order PSE?

And does anyone have the actual official CO2 output in g/km? I've seen a variety of numbers from 228-218-206g. It may not be important to you but it drives the car tax that I'll have to pay on a private import, and every gram has an escalating effect on that tax...

Anyway, all input welcome. :bandit:

There are 3 or 4 currently for Sale on Pistonheads c£40k as I was looking at these myself in terms of depreciation factor. They've all got 'carbon fibre' seats and most/all I've seen have sat nav/climate and PSE. Personally I wouldn't buy one without these along with Sport Chrono+ and PDK :thumb:

CO2 for 2012 PDK is 218g :dont know:

Boxsey has one and given he tracks, I gather he rather likes it :grin:

Thanks. Hmmm, I suspect that there has been some 'badge engineering' of stock S's.

I'd want a proper original with Spyder rims, those CF seats, aircon, radio, and PSE, and I doubt that I'll find a manual in this bloody place, so PDK with Sport Chrono Pack.

This'll definitely be a weekend warrior, summer tourer, and track day/sticky tyre car, if I can't keep the C4S (which was intended to be an all-year-rounder).

MaxA said:
who'd order a lightweight car with fat bastard Turbo rims and comfort seats?

Quite a few dealers did that for their demo cars, I believe. Fuckwits.

PDK will be lower on CO2, but it ain;t worth it, bro.

And yes, there are some cars specced right, but you'll need to be patient to get exactly what you want. Things were a bit different when the car was new. It didn't sell that well and I think quite a few were bought simply as high end Caymans and specced up with tat.

Exhaust, I think, is an easy fix, so don't fixate on that. I'd personally make buckets and extended leather must haves and not worry much about the rest. Aircon I guess if you are an aircon person, I can easily live without it.

pothole said:
MaxA said:
who'd order a lightweight car with fat bastard Turbo rims and comfort seats?

Quite a few dealers did that for their demo cars, I believe. Fuckwits.

PDK will be lower on CO2, but it ain;t worth it, bro.

And yes, there are some cars specced right, but you'll need to be patient to get exactly what you want. Things were a bit different when the car was new. It didn't sell that well and I think quite a few were bought simply as high end Caymans and specced up with tat.

Exhaust, I think, is an easy fix, so don't fixate on that. I'd personally make buckets and extended leather must haves and not worry much about the rest. Aircon I guess if you are an aircon person, I can easily live without it.

Thanks, that explains some odd specifications ...

My requirements would have to include the Spyder rims, bucket seats, and air con. Otherwise it's only a winter car (ie undriveable in the Dubai summer). And the bigger 64l tank would be useful too...

I have one. Epic cars.

Must haves are:

Carbon buckets
Spyder Alloys
PSE
AC/Climate Control
Xenons

Nice to haves are: (Cheaply retro fitted at the dealer if not)
Short shift for manual.
Sports Chrono
Cruise
Universal Audio Interface

Manual vs PDK? You choose. I have a manual for a weekend car and wasn't even considering PDK.

martin.997.C4S said:
I have one. Epic cars.

Must haves are:

Carbon buckets
Spyder Alloys
PSE
AC/Climate Control
Xenons

Nice to haves are: (Cheaply retro fitted at the dealer if not)
Short shift for manual.
Sports Chrono
Cruise
Universal Audio Interface

Manual vs PDK? You choose. I have a manual for a weekend car and wasn't even considering PDK.

Thanks for the lists. I'd love a manual but they simply don't do manuals over here. And despite this being my first non-manual car ever (and I'm 49 years old) I've come to quite like my PDK. It's great for shifting at the red line.

MaxA said:
I may need to downbudget for my move back to Europe, so I'm considering an R, as it is a lot cheaper to import.

If - and obviously this is a big if, I'm basically just wondering - I was in the market for a Cayman R, what should I be looking for? Are these regularly copied? I had a quick look around my local internet sources for R's but they don't seem to come with the proper 997 GT2 seats, the 19" Spyder rims, and so on... who'd order a lightweight car with fat bastard Turbo rims and comfort seats?

Did anyone actually order these without radio/satnav/aircon, or the lithium ion battery, ceremics, PSE? What can you do if they didn't order PSE?

And does anyone have the actual official CO2 output in g/km? I've seen a variety of numbers from 228-218-206g. It may not be important to you but it drives the car tax that I'll have to pay on a private import, and every gram has an escalating effect on that tax...

Okay - the engine in the R is the same as the 987.2 Black edition Cayman and Boxster and the Boxster Spyder (though detuned a few hp in the open topped cars, but the point is that it isn't exactly the same as the one in the normal 987 S). The displacement is slightly up and so too is the CO2, so if you get a manual R you are 228g/km of CO2 and up into the £500 UK tax band whereas IIRC a PDK is 218g/km and down in the £295 band with the manual and PDK 987 S models.

Loads of them were ordered without the bucket seats and on 'fat bas****' rims. Who would order that - well, much the same people as those who order comfort seats on 911 GT3s (of which there were loads). Equally, there are a few out there without stereos and air conditioning, but most seem to have those in the UK. One other option note is that the default option (which the vast majority of cars have) is the smaller fuel tank. Any sensible person would favour the no cost option of the normal 987 tank which holds an extra 9 litres of fuel if all other things were equal.

I've not heard of one with the ~£2k lithium battery option, but there is probably one or tow out there somewhere.

Got mine two years ago. Minimalist version with bog basic everything, no A/C, but it does have the carbon bucket seats and spider alloys. Goes well too, but it would be spec'd rather differently if I lived somewhere warm :)

If I wanted all the options I would probably look for a 'black' edition instead.

Thanks for the helpful replies: if I switch to a lightweight R, then I'd definitely be looking for the proper lightweight spec: buckets, Spyder rims, etc. I very much doubt that anyone around here would order a car without air con.

It's good to know that the CO2 is 218g/km with PDK as that has a significant impact on the car tax that I'd have to pay to import the car to Finland (which is where I'm headed). It's a lot lower than the 242g/km that the 3.8 chucks out of the back of my C4S.

Disco said:
MaxA said:

The displacement is slightly up and so too is the CO2, so if you get a manual R you are 228g/km of CO2 and up into the £500 UK tax band whereas IIRC a PDK is 218g/km and down in the £295 band with the manual and PDK 987 S models.

My manual R is £295 per year FYI.

Yes I would echo those comments, I've had mine for almost 5yrs now, a great car for weekend / roadtrips / trackdays. Manual, buckets, PSE, short shift, spyder wheels, air, alcantara interior. PDK is marginally quicker but obviously less driver involvement. Agree, only pay £295 tax unless it's changing this year?
Good luck with your search.

:thumbs:

Giving a bit of consideration to this badboy: LINK

PDK gearbox,
Switchable sports exhaust,
Carbon bucket seats,
Red seat belts,
Sports chrono package plus,
Body colour centre console and interior trim,
Leather sports steering wheel with paddle shift,
Sound package plus,
19" Black Spyder alloy wheels with Porsche coloured wheel crests,
Bi-xenon headlights with dynamic cornering function and headlight wash,
Climate control with air conditioning,
PCM with extended navigation module,
Ipod/USB conection,
Bluetooth phone prep.

cayman-r-3_1_orig.jpg

Any thoughts on the dealer (Autostore) & spec / price / etc

Manual's are hens teeth, & living in London I quite fancy PDK as I'm sick of constant gear changes through the traffic, will be a riot out in the sticks I'm sure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back