Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So while the engine's out...

Robertb

Yas Marina
I have a fault with my 996 4S which will involve the engine being dropped to fix (broken Air Oil Separator)

So, trying the make the best of a bad hand, anything else worth doing while its out? Car is manual, has done 108k miles... I'm thinking preventative + refresh stuff such as

-rear brake lines
-clutch (seems fine, but I've no record of it being done...can it be inspected?)
-Modded open IMS bearing
-latest RMS
-engine mounts

Anything else?

I'll not go down the "AOS on a manual doesn't need the engine dropping" route :oops:

Personally:

Check ims and remove seal.
Check play in DMF
Brake lines
Don't touch the RMS if it's ok.

Alex has it all covered. Maybe exhaust manifold studs, any dodgy looking coolant hoses and clamps, water pump and LTT (not engine out related but whilst the coolant is out

Just had my Turbo in for a clutch which grew into the following:

Water pipes pinned/bonded
Water pump
Coil packs
Plugs
Oil & filter
Brake lines
Gearbox/diff oil change

I think that's it... :?:

Cheers... I can see March living on tesco value beans :sad:

The only dealer parts for me were the water pump & gasket along with the brake lines, although my Indy said he would have made those.
The rest can be had reasonably cheaply by taking advantage of ECP/GSF/Carparts4less discount deals.

Even picked up the oil for a good discount via one of these deals.

Clutch kit (from Sachs) was £400 delivered, OPC wanted well over £1k. :thumbs:

For the avoidance of future expensive mishaps, pin or weld ( you will hear recommendations for both ) the coolant pipes, as I believe some can only be accessed properly engine out.

the other me said:
For the avoidance of future expensive mishaps, pin or weld ( you will hear recommendations for both ) the coolant pipes, as I believe some can only be accessed properly engine out.

Thanks, I'll mention it when they get back to me... is that such an issue with NA engines vs Turbo?

Not sure, I know it has happened to a few turbos & "assumed" (maybe wrongly ? ) that it was a similar problem on N/A. Seems to be the heat overcoming the adhesive capability of the bonding as it ages, but, I guess even a normally aspirated lump is producing enough heat to encourage deterioration.

Think that's the Mezgers block only. One of the rare afflictions!

Let's be fair, water cooling was an afterthought :grin:

plynchy said:
Let's be fair, water cooling was an afterthought :grin:
:floor:

But is that Mezger or 997? :hand:

Mezger. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite