Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trouble opening rear fusebox

toddgibbs123

Trainee
Hi gents,

2nd post in as many minutes! again, nothing found when searching...

My rear fusebox won't open. Of the 3 bolts only one will undo, the other two (the ones closer to the back of the car) just spin. From rennlist I can see a post about hacking it open but would rather lean on any experience here first.

Has anyone else had the same problem? if so, whats the best way to resolve?

Thanks in advance
Todd.

This is really irritating, it's cramped down there.
It happens when the nuts are tightened with a tool, it should be done with the fingers only.
The plastic nut is pressed onto a grooved axle, and I often use a wide side cutter as a jack, and lift off the plastic cap from the metal rod. It takes some force to do this.
I then heat the metal axle and melt on the plastic cap with good results.

In some cases I have to cut open the plastic cap with the side cutter to get it off.
I don't know if the screws are available separately, it might be part of the cover assembly.
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks Tore.

So, I used a hacksaw blade to deepen the screw slot in the plastic bolt head such that I cut into the metal bolt (effectively creating a flat-blade screw head in it). My plan was then to just use a screwdriver to turn the metal bolt, ignoring the plastic bolt head.... which I did. But the metal is also just turning so I guess the problem is inside the fusebox.

Any ideas how to proceed? I need to get the head off of the bolt so the cover can slip over the bolt.

Photo attached, taped up to protect cover.

TIA

Todd.

Attachments

• img_0906_776.jpg
    img_0906_776.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 1,539
There is no real bolt head, only the plastic cap you have cut, and a bolt that is slightliy widened on the outer edge.
Pull the plastic cap off, and then pull the lid over the widened part of the bolt.
You could heat the bolt with a soldering iron to make it a bit easier to pull the lid off.
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back