Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PEC Silverstone stock

When I recently did a PEC day I couldn't help but notice their super tasty high specced stock. Including a GT3RS and a 911R.

Does anyone know what happens to their stock? Are they punted out to auction? Or heavens forbid, given a wipe over with a rag and plonked on OPC forecourts? I forgot to ask when I had the chance.

Subscribed

jonttt said:

Ha. You might be right. Someone told me the 911R there can't be legally sold on so it'll be broken up and sold off. Sounded like bollox to me but stranger things happen I suppose.

Plonked onto OPC forecourts I'd guess.

BMW have done this with the Palmersport M3/M4s! :eek:
They were identified as a heap of low mileage white M3s appeared at the same time with the same first 2 letters of the reg.

Shaoxter said:
Plonked onto OPC forecourts I'd guess.

BMW have done this with the Palmersport M3/M4s! :eek:
They were identified as a heap of low mileage white M3s appeared at the same time with the same first 2 letters of the reg.

You're probably right according to other guys on here.

You'd think 'one previous owner being Porsche' would be a good thing... I have never quite understood why 'ex demo' is often viewed as a good thing. I'd rather one proper owner that hopefully took care of it. When has a demo car ever been looked after. There is no way an ex demo would have been given a smooth, un-stressed run in. Most likely launch control trialed with 8 miles on the clock and then by every prospective buyer that took it for a spin! As for the ex. porsche experience cars, no thank you!

Unless you personally know previous owners of your P&J you'll never know how much of a pike handed ragging it's had.
Fingers crossed it's been owned by technically minded people with mechanical sympathy. But that's unlikely. It's usually bankers, lawyers, MD's etc that buy these cars brand new. People not famous for technical knowledge. Some would struggle to check tyre pressure. Seriously.
I've bought ex demo bikes before and never had a problem. But as stated, ideally you'd want the 1st owner to be an enthusiast.
Trouble is, a 911 turbo is a chest beating behemoth of a car and the boy in us all (me anyway) can't help burying the throttle when the road opens up. Yee haa!

911tom said:
You'd think 'one previous owner being Porsche' would be a good thing... I have never quite understood why 'ex demo' is often viewed as a good thing. I'd rather one proper owner that hopefully took care of it. When has a demo car ever been looked after. There is no way an ex demo would have been given a smooth, un-stressed run in. Most likely launch control trialed with 8 miles on the clock and then by every prospective buyer that took it for a spin! As for the ex. porsche experience cars, no thank you!

I agree with most of this but not all of it.

I'm fairly certain demo's are well looked after by their respective OPC workshops. Granted, they'll get some rude hammer here and there. But the test driver will almost always have a SE beside him and the Highway Code applies. You don't get closed circuit time.

One proper owner. Great, if he looked after it. A lot of brand new super cars are acquired by 'stock broker' types who will unashamedly rag the shoite out them from day one knowing full well they'll flip in 8 months.

Running in. Some advocate a religiously adhered to run in program set out by the manufacturer. I recently picked up a new Macan GTS and the SE indicated no run in required. Race teams run in their new cars or bikes on a dyno. It takes about an hour and entails a lot of 100% load runs.

I spoke to an OPC SE yesterday and asked him what happens to PEC cars when they leave Silverstone. Apparently they go to a closed auction. He told me OPC's do occasionally buy them back but it's not common because in order to prep them properly and put them through the 111 point check, they often have to spend £4-5k before putting them onto the forecourt. It's considered too much of a chunk out the profit margin. Makes sense.

He also told me that all PEC 'GT XXX' cars were pre sold. Well? Would you? There was a 911R there!

The well published & respected advice on this forum is to let any water cooled Porsche "warm up" properly and after spirited runs, leave to idle so it cools down. Porsche experience day cars & demonstrators will not have followed this routine. The GEN2 cars that have had bore scoring issues reported on hear are small but the accepted view is that the issues has been caused by "abuse" by first owners. Buyer beware, 2 yrs OCP warranty not with standing.

Depends upon the car. Normal series production cars have certainly gone to the forecourts before, however when they have had limited production models in some cases in the past then they have been known to be un-numbered pre-production examples. As such they are not road homologated, cannot be sold and indeed do end up cubed.

Disco said:
Depends upon the car. Normal series production cars have certainly gone to the forecourts before, however when they have had limited production models in some cases in the past then they have been known to be un-numbered pre-production examples. As such they are not road homologated, cannot be sold and indeed do end up cubed.

Blimey! :eek:

Someone told me that about a 911R they had there. Gulp...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back