Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sold Selling my car to buy my first Porsche

Status of item for sale, now as sold
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatMartiniGuy

Hi all,

I have been following a few threads for a while now about members buying their first Porsches and finally it's time to buy mine, not sure on what area to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I'm selling my mini roadster

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701141314662

And I am looking to buy a Porsche in the £25k price range although not a 911 as Insurance is simply too much (I'm 20) please post suggestions below if you have any :?:

Subscribe to my YouTube
https://youtu.be/LpQa0OLyv1M

I'd do some more homework on the Insurance, you may find somewhere that's more accomadating.

Yeah I agree with Alex. Get a couple of quotes as you might be surprised. I am 29 now, 23 when I brought my first 911. I was shocked at how cheap Insurance was at the time. One of the companies I spoke to said it was to do with statistics and not many young drivers crash porsches'. Lol I wonder why! Strangely when I went from carrera to turbo the premium remained the same, I was 24 then.

I can recommend you speak to classicline Insurance they are ace :thumbs:

I've just run a few quotes on gocompare. Made a few assumptions but have an idea of your details. Anyway, Insurance for yourself only fully comp on my car (3.4 996 manual convertible) is £4,950.

Run the exact same quote again on a 2010 987 Boxster 2.9 manual, see here: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701181410227

and it's £4,261

I'd be having a very serious think before you decide as the depreciation on something like a £20k Boxster may be far greater than on a £20k 911, enough to make a mockery of what your Insurance cost.

£4K on Insurance :eek: I've never paid anything like that! My 996 c2 cover was about £800 with probably 5 years no claims. Alex what would it be if you changed op's age to 21? Also price comparisons are not always the best. Well worth a chat with classic line.

I was only doing it as comparison between two models. For me it would make more sense to jump on the 996 inflation gravy train rather than a depreciating 'inferior' model of Porsche :grin:

Changing age to 21 and adding a years extra on license & NCB drops the 996 quote to £3,243

I didn't think anyone bothered with Insurance in Blackburn :?:

jonttt said:
I didn't think anyone bothered with Insurance in Blackburn :?:

They don't cos the premiums are that high with all the whiplash claims. I'm in the neighbouring Ribble Valley so my renewal next month is £250.

Will it be your only car? If so I would seriously consider buying a second car as a cheap daily hack and trying a multi-car policy, maybe with a limited mileage on the Porsche. Even insurers that don't do multi car policies will take a second car into consideration. Worth investigating :dont know:

DucatiRob said:
Will it be your only car? If so I would seriously consider buying a second car as a cheap daily hack and trying a multi-car policy, maybe with a limited mileage on the Porsche. Even insurers that don't do multi car policies will take a second car into consideration. Worth investigating :dont know:

Insurance is insane and I have a fiat panda as my daily for work (pandas are very underrated) I'm looking at caymans as they seem to be best on Insurance about £2k for the 918 model. It's right at the top end of my budget but I think that is what I have narrowed it down too.

ThatMartiniGuy said:
......... I'm looking at caymans as they seem to be best on Insurance about £2k for the 918 model. It's right at the top end of my budget but I think that is what I have narrowed it down too.

918 :?:

IF you mean 981 I think you'll struggle to get into one for £25k. I'm not sure they're even below £30k yet.

Regarding Insurance. Have you got an older relative (preferably female) that you can put on your policy as named driver?

[/quote]
918 :?:

IF you mean 981 I think you'll struggle to get into one for £25k. I'm not sure they're even below £30k yet.

Regarding Insurance. Have you got an older relative (preferably female) that you can put on your policy as named driver?[/quote]

My mistake a 918 is a just a little bit too expensive
I have seen them for around £31k with reasonable mileage and it is a stretch but I think I could find a way to fill the whole, it is cheaper to insure the 981 than the previous models, I guess because the older models find their way into the hands of people my age who decide they want to wrap it round a tree.
I'm currently with admaril and have my dad as a named driver on my policy and they have given the best quotes so far, on my policy I currently have my mini and the panda I can't afford to go on someone else's policy as I need the no claims to build up, I did that for my first car and found that you still get stung at the end of the Insurance because you didn't build up any NCB if you want your own policy.

I could always do what far to many do and just not bother with Insurance (I'm joking)

I think the moral is homework on Insurance.

I'm rather sure as soon as you enter Porsche onto a Insurance comparison site, coupled with 20yrs of age, the Insurance companies will be running for the hills.

It's nothing personal, it's statistics, high performance car, and driven under the age of 25.

You'll never know until you try, :thumb:

Be worth at least giving AIB sponsors on here a ring; they were half the price of Admiral for me (totally different age group though). As a broker they have the knowledge as to where to go for best quote for you; not a call centre.

Surely if you have a fiat panda as your daily you can just build your ncb up on that with your own policy and then be named as a second driver on the Porsche with your Dad as main driver?

.......or am I missing something? :dont know:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back