Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Re: 1990 964 manual C2 cold start problem.

peter y.s pang

Re: 1990 964 manual C2 cold start problem.

Hi everybody. The 964 seldom use it. Everytime it need several times to crank it, the engine can willing to run. when i turn the key, i can hear the starter try to turn the flywheel, but the engine did not want to run, but after 10 - 15 times crank. the engine start run and it will run smoothly. If the engine get warm. i can start the car no problem. The battery have 12.4 V , seems health. Any idea what kind of problem ?

Peter,

It looks as though your starter motor is on the way out.

I had the same problem with my 1990 C2. You can get a a service exchange, new for old.

Cheers,
Paul

Peter,
2 further things to check, I believe there's a cable going from the solenoid to the starter, I've read of people having issues with this cable where it's almost frayed apart which would cause bad conductivity, also there's an earth cable from the engine to the body which can also cause poor starting if the contact area needs taken apart and cleaned with sandpaper or a wire brush.

It probably is your starter as Paul said but better to check the cheaper fix options first in case your problem lies there.

Logan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back