Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers matey, as I've said in your thread me and Captain Droplink had a great weekend.

Thanks for the comments. Your new car is just perfect. I love it. Cloud 9

Interesting about the seats, I remember you saying you thought mine felt lower. Definitely worthy of a mention for the tall lads.

Glad your return leg went as well as the rest of the trip. Speak soon. Thumb

PS. I'm sure that motorhome came past me in the next set of twisties. Very Happy

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointless little post this but I found my old tax disc holder in the drawer today. I removed it from my windscreen during the stripdown for the bodyshop.

Every tax disc back to 2005.

Like I say, pointless post but I'm a geek like that. Get Me Coat

cobrars
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha.... Captain Drop Link ??? Floor Thats it, give me my bonnet badge back !!!! ha

I see you managed to mention me on the "First Line" there Grin
Nice !!!! hahaha

As for the seats, I cant see the upper front hole making much if any difference to the height whatsoever ???? this will only tilt the seat back over so you don't get a bad back??? it can't actually go any lower than it is now, and tilting it back to use the top hole, your arse will be in the same place, just the back rest will give a more lean back feel ??? The rear mounting hole if fixed with no adjustment up or down.

Only one way to find out i guess....

ps. GEEK !!!! Who does a tax disk post ???? hahaha thumbsup

Current : VW Golf 25th Anniversary No 1398

Previous : TVR Cerbera 4.5

Car Thread - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118834&highlight=

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah, yeah, whatever. Tax disc post for the win. Very Happy

I finally got around to washing the car this week. It was still filthy from the Scotland trip.

I assessed the stone-chip situation and the front bumper has taken a bit of a hammering.

This is the worst of the damage.
Huge chip out of lower section edge. There's also a good few more normal chips through to the primer.

So I ordered some paint from Chipex. I still have loads of blending solution etc from previous kits.
I touched in the worst ones yesterday. It's still totally presentable but to be mint it needs repainting. In itself, no big deal, as I'm having the engine lid done again over winter anyway.
It does beg the question though, if I'm not going to shell out for PPF is there any point getting the bumper made perfect again? We'll see.
You basically have a stone-chipped but we'll emjoyed car or a perfect car you simply don't use. Mine is to be the former.

Anyway I attended a show today at Beamish museum. I always say I don't do static shows as you've seen everything within an hour but my dad attends the ones for his club (NECPWA) so I thought I'd spend some time with him.
Family and friend time has suffered a bit, this last few years, with doing up my old house, so it's good to chill out again.

Anyway only a few pics as it was a busy show so always people about spoiling my pics. Grin

My dad restored his Midget a few years ago. Yes it's a rubber bumper one, before anyone says anything Wink but it's like brand new and is a cool little car. Someone tries to buy it at almost every show.

When he attended the Corbridge show up here last year, the organisers told him to make sure he hung around until late on.
Turns out he'd won "Best Classic MG". Not bad as there's about 700 cars attend and loads of MGs.
He also never even enters concours or show and shine. He just parks it up and enjoys the day.

He's now half way through restoring his chrome bumper MGB. Hopefully done for next year but possibly not.

Anyway, that's all for now.
The car is going great.
Service time soon. Only a minor this year.

Thumb

wasz
Sepang

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love a midget, neighbour has one, also rubber bumper. Great back to basics fun!

g911omr
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pondered about getting a midget before I bought my 996. The old man had a 1500 years ago. Had a look at a couple but the panel gaps were truly horrific.
I guess some are better than others though.

demon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a weird relationship between the two - guy I bought my 996 from had 6 cars - 3 996s alongside 3 MGs that were all in various stages of restoration or daily driver..... maybe they attract each other Dont know
1998 Carrera - Black, no sunroof, manual, cable throttle, IPD plenum, 200 cell x pipe, cargraphic backboxes, Ohlins R&T, LSD, polybushed, Girodisc brakes, custom ("shaved") GT3 RS decklid, 997 sports seats, litronic headlights, RUF wing mirrors, Hartech rebuild, >245,000 miles

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know if there'd be any love for the old stuff on here. Wink

Hi Wasz, that's exactly it, back to basics. Totally different era and not an ECU in sight.
Following my dad to the show though highlighted how tiny it is. The clue's in the name I suppose. Grin
It's positively dwarfed (or midget-ed) by modern vehicles.

Just like the original mini's, they're fun, but I'd hate to have a bump in one. Surprised

Hi g911omr, the panel gaps in most midgets (and old stuff in general) are comical compared to our cars but that's just how things were back then. My dad worked hard to get his right but you do see some shockers.
MGBs can be really bad too. The leading edge of the door in particular always has a huge gap and you're into rocking horse poop territory to find one that all the chrome strips line up on down the sides. Wink
It can be done though. Just very time consuming.
It's the sign of a good resto or an average one.
There'll quite often be that gap down the front of the doors though.

Mornin' Demon - Funny you should say that as I've noticed one or two people's signature sections in here, listing MG midgets.
I'd happily have one, although I think I'd prefer a chrome bumper MGB. Just that little bit bigger and more practical. I'd be inclined to go a bit further in it. They sound and look that bit nicer too. Wink

Anyway I'll stick a couple of pics up of the B in its current state.
My dad started work as a mechanic when he was 15, so 1961/1962 and he's still crawling around underneath cars now. (I hope I'm still doing that at 72!)

Midgets and B's were just being launched when my dad began serving his time, so he has gone from working on them as brand spanking new, state of the art sports cars, to restoring them as old classics.
The B he's doing now sat in a garage for 31 years, from 1981-2012. It was only a few streets away from his house too.

The metalwork is all done, new sills etc.

All the suspension and underside is done. They get undersealed rather than left body colour as my dad likes to use his cars.

Engine bay very nearly complete. It was painted early on so the engine could go back in.

He's onto the bodywork now, funnily enough fettling door gaps etc. Then it's paint, trim and interior over winter. It'll be a lovely car once it's done.

Anyway apologies for the off topic-ness.
Anything goes in my threads though and my car/motorbike addiction comes from my dad. I'm sure that's the case with most of us eh. Thumb

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick post after a good days driving today with Craig.
The car had some work done at my Indy's at the end of last year. He held onto it over Xmas as I had other uses for my garage.

So anyway Craig took me for it this morning. The weather although cold, was mega dry, so we decided Craig would take me in his 996 then we'd go the long way home and make a day of it. It beats a usual winter Saturday.

So we collected my car at 11am from Nelson Porsche in Stockton, grabbed some unhealthy food from McD's, great start to my healthy new year Wink , then we headed off.

We went out through Richmond past Leyburn.
Quick stop to check map as I'd taken us on a different road to what I'd planned.

Then it was onto Hawes. Didn't stop though as parking is always a pain, so we pushed on to Ribblehead viaduct.

After Ribblehead we headed to Ingleton and then Devils bridge, our old motorbike haunt. (Most of the route from Hawes was our old bike route actually).

Brew stop at Devils Bridge.

Then it was north out of Devils bridge the twisty way to Kendal, up the A6 to Penrith and up the A686 to Hartside. Still an awesome bit of road and not too many bikers or mamils.

Stopped at Hartside but obviously the cafe burned down last year so no food or drink.
Too dark for a pic.

Then it was continue on A686 to Haydon Bridge on the A69.
We stopped for a Shandy at a pub near home then split up.

I always take my car off the road from October to March/April as I hate washing cars in the cold and the roads are generally no fun.
However that was a great impromptu blast.
Barely around 4 degrees though so my 595 RSRs coupled with 2.2 degrees negative camber had the traction and abs kicking in a bit.
I'll get that sorted for the spring though.

Anyway, like I say a great day. It hasn't persuaded me into using the 996 regularly in the bad weather but I'll admit the odd time can be fun.

Home at 6pm. 195 miles done, almost all on twisty or sweeping roads.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. The exact thing I can't be bothered with doing every week, hence why I'm a fair weather friend. Wink

A proper end of year/New Years update soon, covering the work I've just had done.
The car is running great and we even sorted a slightly rough hot idle problem I've had since I bought it.
Unbelievable what it was. Free to fix but laughable.
What was it? Answers on a postcard. Grin

Anyway it runs smooth as silk now and pulls great. The way these cars drive still impresses me when I haven't driven it for a while. So keyed in and compliant. The KWs have really turned it into something fantastic.
I'm very impressed how it has turned out.

Is it a keeper? For this year definitely. I still find myself looking at 964s and GT3s so we'll see what the future brings though. Although like when I had my GT3, I wonder how much more fun I'd have in something 3 times the cost.
In the meantime though being "stuck" in my 996 is not exactly a hardship. Very Happy

Cheers. Thumb

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up, mine has sat for a few weeks and itching to get out but as you can't be arsed cleaning the car so it's staying in the garage for now.
Keep watching KW1 prices as I have them on the RS4 and been super impressed with them.

kas750
Shanghai

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car looks awesome Marky.I sometimes wish I had stuck out for an aero car.

jezgreen911
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a good run out Marky and some nice pics although I've been looking at replica GT3 RS aero parts lately and the shots of Craig's car really aren't helping! Grin Thumb

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both cars looking great.

Nice to see some dirt on 'em, means they've been enjoying a good thrash!

How's Craig getting on with the Ohlins? Hope he's not regretting letting you have the KW's.....

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Mark.

The roads have been dry and pretty clean here, so I have not sorn’d the car this winter.

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 10 degrees here yesterday- yet the roads are absolutely covered in salt. I’ve been driving the estate as we went mountain biking at Swinley all day yesterday, something I was glad of looking at the drifts of grit at junctions.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning lads, thanks for the comments.

Hi Graham , yes the washing is a faff and you simply can't get into everywhere that the salt spray from the road can.
I've never tried the KWV1s but if they damp anywhere near the V3's (they should, they just have less adjustment don't they), then they should be great.
My only gripe with KW are the rebuild costs compared to the likes of Bilstein, etc. Mine required the fronts rebuilding after 25k as one strut wasn't returning quickly enough.
It cost Craig about £700 so I'm guessing double that for all 4. Rip off.

Hi kas yes I'm glad I did the Aerokit. It cost a lot and that won't be added on but if a car doesn't look right visually to me, I know it won't hold my interest.
I think you're like me in that you have better models, such as GT3s etc, so you may want to move back up in the future. In that case I probably wouldn't waste the money.
I'll have mine until at least this time next year, maybe even for a lot longer, hence I've made it how I want.

When I'm not driving it I'm looking at cars I would love to buy next but then I drive it and think "Would I be having that much more fun in a GT3/4? And how much more money do I want sitting in the garage for most of the year?".

Hi Jez , if the cars a keeper get it done. Very Happy

The Mk2 GT3 parts look great and that bit more aggressive than the Mk1.
The mk2 parts are mega rare though aren't they. No harm in aftermarket parts as long at they're at the better end of the scale.
I have the genuine Mk1 skirts on mine but I also have the £400/pair Porschashop copies in my loft . The fit is actually better on the copies as they're newer.
My genuine ones were a pig to fit but they were used, so have been on another car and probably wrestled about with over the years.
Yours would look ace with the kit on.
Thumb

Hi James, yep Craig loves the Ohlins.
They are stunning and since his Centre Gravity setup he says it's perfection. I haven't driven it yet but I know it will be more surefooted than mine due to the settings.
I think the rear of his is harder than mine but not by much and I always seem to remember mine being softer than it is. Wink

If I was buying used I'd buy either. Both are great.
If I was buying new I'd buy Ohlins as the adjustment for corner weighting is better and they're cheaper at about £2200 if you get lucky.
KWs are still £3k plus.

I've still never tried a car with these mega cheap coilovers on, you know the £600 ones. I'm very interested to see how they drive.
I can't see how they'd be a patch on Ohlins etc, but it would be nice if they were, as suspension ends up costing us a massive amount proportionally to a 996 doesn't it.
If I wasn't lucky enough to buy Craig's I'd have been saving for a quite bit longer. Wink
Being the good mate that he is, he just charged me his rebuild costs, as the KWs were already on his car when he bought it. Very Happy

YK how's it going? Thumb

Yes I doubt I'll sorn mine now for the sake of 3 months.
It's been a mild winter. It was a positively tropical 8 degrees here yesterday while I washed the car. Grin
Not so nice now though and I have to go out and wash the wife's. Booo!

We even still had some flowers in the garden until about last week.

Anyway I hope you're well.

Hi Neil yep that's usually the case up here. The gritters have been out this winter but we'd had a bit of rainfall since. I was amazed at how bone dry and clean the roads were when I got up on Saturday.
As you can see though we did encounter some salt along the way.
Not masses of it though thankfully. Thumb

Right, I'm off to brave the elements with my bucket and wash mitt again.

996 is all clean and tucked up.

I'm either gonna leave it in one piece so I can use it if I want, or I'm pulling all 4 coffin arms off to reduce to my camber.
I also have a snagging list there that I'll get through quite quickly. Things like Cup wheel pushed too hard against brass contact pad so I get an audible scratching noise when turning - 2 minute job.
I have a rattley clip in the rear quarter panel trim since removing rear belts etc.
Again no biggie.
Basically I'm chasing rattles and squeaks so it's spot on for the roadtrip in July.

Phew, long post. Sorry gents. I was gonna delete some but thought "I've written it now". Razz

JS1500
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the tax disc holder - your car was supplied new by Glasgow OPC then? Mine was too, before coming up to Aberdeen, then down to Manchester, now back up to Aberdeen.

Also, I have a Midget 1500! Was my first car and mine since 1997. It's bumperless now and has a tuned engine and Ford Type 9 5-speed box, amongst other things. Gotta love a Midget!

Cool

JS1500
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S, your car looks great btw! You call that dirty? Mine is pink with road filth, washing it today...

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornin' JS,

your midget sounds like fun. Cool
It must be great to have kept your first car, although mine was a silver Vauxhall Nova 1.0 litre with ginger interior and holes in the doors, so I'm not too distraught at not having that anymore. Grin

The tax disc holder must have been added later on as my car was actually supplied new by Lancaster of Colchester, then it was serviced at Porsche Wilmslow, Cheshire for a few years. It was then in Scotland until 2016 when I bought it.
Although it was in Scotland for over a decade it only covered about 50k miles in that time, which suggests it wasn't a daily car (I know it wasn't for the 5 years it's last owner had it) so it's remarkably solid and rust free compared to some. Thankfully.

I did write off to the DVLA to get former keeper info but they don't give it out anymore. I always used to do this for anything interesting I bought so that's a shame but hey ho.

Anyway I hope you got your car washed. Guards red is a great colour. Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 17 of 31

Jump to: